Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
a feeling : no really new music can be recorded any more.

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9572 posts

Edited Sep 01, 2008, 18:05
Re: a feeling : no really new music can be recorded any more.
Sep 01, 2008, 18:04
Ha! One day we'll continue this thread over a pint! ; )
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Edited Sep 01, 2008, 22:40
Sep 01, 2008, 22:39

Would love to hear him do some of it live.

Saw him do just that at The Blue Note in Derby in the mid 80s. It was good.

Also saw Magazine on their Correct Use of Soap tour. They were awesome! Despite support band Bauhaus having just radically shifted my mental state!

:o)
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Sep 01, 2008, 22:41
starcar wrote:
I have a sneaking suspicion that all in music has been said and done.

My thoughts in 1985 on hearing 'Psychocandy' for the first time!

Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Sep 01, 2008, 22:47
Ah, Bruce Smith and Steve Beresford. Musicians.

Perhaps a reason for the last Fall album being less favourably received on their fansite poll ( the 'Reformation' one, tho' 'Imperial Wax Solvent' is just as pants in my opinion) is that for one of the first time ever, MES has employed musicians. He's often said that there's no room for musicians in The Fall!

Five
Five
960 posts

Sep 02, 2008, 03:36
All I can think to say to this is -

So what?
No offense!

Just that, why's it got to all be new and different all the time?

Or, just the fact that it's being played now in this moment makes it different from anything that ever came before it!

I like to play around with existing forms, and my main objective is amusing myself and hopefully someone else or otherwise doing us each some good, but if it sounds a bit derivative, it doesn't bother me as long as it sounds and feels GOOD or RIGHT to my brain and nerve endings.

I mean, I like it when someone makes what might be called progress in some area of music, but it doesn't always end up being what I listen to the most - I like it when that progress gets integrated and really well applied, tho, that's for sure!
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Sep 02, 2008, 04:44
It really wasn't until the 20th Century that the idea that something already done is not worth doing again... especially after WW2. That radical notion that all new work must somehow escape or bury whatever came before obviously only carries so far... in the hugeness of human history, how much has been done, and lost again?

It may be that there really is nothing new under the sun- but to each of us, with our limited time under that sun, it's just not true. It's probably the most dedicated musicologists that'd tell you that nobody ever gets around to hearing the totality of human musical expression, so as long as each of us lives, there's always something new we haven't heard.

Someone else mentioned the possibility of instruments not even conceived of yet. Another futuristic prospect, of course, is that we will find another intelligent species out there and be able to check out THAT back catalog of music...
unleasHell
112 posts

Re: certainly true by Coldpaly and Interpol..
Sep 02, 2008, 06:23
LOl, what a waste...yuc
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 02, 2008, 09:13
Sep 02, 2008, 09:12
Gnomon wrote:

Would love to hear him do some of it live.

Saw him do just that at The Blue Note in Derby in the mid 80s. It was good.

Also saw Magazine on their Correct Use of Soap tour. They were awesome! Despite support band Bauhaus having just radically shifted my mental state!

Nice. Bauhaus could have been soooo good. Though the musicianship was a bit meat and potatoes on record. They were just one bright spark short of a blaze.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Sep 02, 2008, 09:14
Gnomon wrote:
Ah, Bruce Smith and Steve Beresford. Musicians.

Perhaps a reason for the last Fall album being less favourably received on their fansite poll ( the 'Reformation' one, tho' 'Imperial Wax Solvent' is just as pants in my opinion) is that for one of the first time ever, MES has employed musicians. He's often said that there's no room for musicians in The Fall!

Maybe so. Actually one of the things that has always impressed me about MES is his choice of players and that he pushes them to their limits. No safety in (inept) numbers for them!
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Sep 02, 2008, 13:58
The discipline I once had has now all but gone. Last night I put another three shelves up in the music room. There's no escape - suffocation is impending....

8)
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index