Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
a feeling : no really new music can be recorded any more.

Pages: 12 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
starcar
12 posts

a feeling : no really new music can be recorded any more.
Aug 28, 2008, 12:04
I have a sneaking suspicion that all in music has been said and done. we had it all, from several - hour - long instrumental, ambient music via industrial sounds to 2 minute punk rock anthems: all that is releaes nowadays is just an addition to that.
my personal evidence : if you ask me about music in the new millenium, there is nothing new and fresh I could really remember.
we were born late.

Wah - Wah
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1705 posts

Re: a feeling : no really new music can be recorded any more.
Aug 28, 2008, 12:13
Nah, can't agree with you there. It's the old 'end of history' argument, but you can never anticipate what fresh surprises might be just around the corner. It always seems like everything has been done, and everything has- until someone comes along and does something new and completely unexpected.

On the flip, in music, has anything ever been completely new? Surely every new development has just been a slight twist and progression on what went before, or a combination of existing elements, or a personal unique interpretation of something... and this natural evolution will still continue.
keith a
9570 posts

Aug 28, 2008, 12:29
Blimey. Have you never heard The Wombats?
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Aug 28, 2008, 12:36
Aug 28, 2008, 12:34
Yeah, I agree with Hunter and I also think you're not looking hard enough ;).

Electronic and experimental music hasn't been as healthy as it is now since the late 70s imo. Still, I'm guessing you may probably lump all that into one genre and equally say 'Its nothing new' (I'm guessing by the way you threw the word ambient into that sentence). Thats fair enough, to some people 'weird' is 'weird' and thats it.

The important thing is though that good music is good music, irrespective of its genre. The quest for 'new' is fundamentally a path to madness, unless you do delve into the experimental electronic scene where many releases have new ideas. I could recommend things the like of which you've probably never heard before though; Maja Ratkje, Phonophani, Bernard Gunther, Scott Gibbons (Lillith work), but you may think it just weird at best, and not music at all at worst.

If you're looking for new and original things in Rock though, nope that isn't going to happen, not until most of those involved get over their futile quest for vintage kit/sound and learn something from the noise scene. Edit : Lightning bolt and similar being an exception.

While we now have kit capable of anything we imagine, we will, incessantly, have new and original music.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Aug 28, 2008, 14:39
Aug 28, 2008, 14:38
starcar wrote:
I have a sneaking suspicion that all in music has been said and done. we had it all, from several - hour - long instrumental, ambient music via industrial sounds to 2 minute punk rock anthems: all that is releaes nowadays is just an addition to that.
my personal evidence : if you ask me about music in the new millenium, there is nothing new and fresh I could really remember.
we were born late.

Wah - Wah

Au contraire! I'm working on my thrash metal / easy listening /acid-folk / Bavarian classical hybrid at this very moment.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Aug 28, 2008, 14:59
ah, ya see, I think starcar considers crossover/hybrid music to be part of the problem. You're not helping ;).
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 28, 2008, 19:00
Aug 28, 2008, 15:01
starcar wrote:
we were born late.

Wah - Wah

I hear a lot of newly recorded music that has a lot to offer. I don't hear much that changes my mind about anything but that doesn't mean it's not there for our collective pleasure. Some of it stays on my proverbial turntable longer than a couple of spins.

That said when it comes to rock music (of any genre) we are where jazz was around 1980 with three strands -

Old chaps still touring on the back of long careers but not selling any of their new music

Younger artists taking a very traditional, artistically safe and conservative route to no little success but with little or no artistic merit

The crazy fuckers who sell bugger all records but are still actively messing with the envelope of where the music could and should be going.

When the first lot die the second lot become the mainstream and third lot get day jobs if they didn't have them already. So it all just reinforces the idea that familiarity is what sells and so the familiar and the nostalgic is what people produce. The truely adventurous artists' community gets smaller and smaller. And then dies,

My problem is simply that there is waaay too much music coming my way - new exciting artists, boots of old artists, reissues etc etc. I probably see the equivalent of 20 new albums a week land on my desk that would be of interest to me but I can't listen to any where near as much of it as I like so it just sits there scowling at me. And as soon as you poke your head into MySpace the problem just magnifies x 1000. I could sacrifice listening to all my old passions to make time for these bright new things but why would I do that?
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 28, 2008, 15:01
I hear ya! Not to mention the usual tiresome Nirvana retreads...
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Aug 28, 2008, 15:07
IanB wrote:
starcar wrote:
we were born late.

Wah - Wah

I hear a lot of newly recorded music that has a lot to offer. I don't hear much that changes my mind about anything but that doesn't mean it's not there for our collective pleasure. Some of it stays on my proverbial turntable longer than a couple of spins.

That said when it comes to guitar rock we are where jazz was around 1980 with three strands -

Old chaps still touring on the back of long careers but not selling any of their new music

Younger artists taking a very traditional, artistically safe and conservative route to no little success but with little or no artistic merit

The crazy fuckers who sell bugger all records but are still actively messing with the envelope of where the music could and should be going.

When the first lot die the second lot become the mainstream and third lot get day jobs if they didn't have them already. So it all just reinforces the idea that familiarity is what sells and so the familiar and the nostalgic is what people produce.

My problem is simply there being too much music coming my way - new exciting artists, boots of old artists, reissues etc etc. I probably see the equivalent of 20 new albums a week land on my desk that would be of interest to me but I can't listen to any where near as much of it as I like so it just sits there scowling at me. And as soon as you poke your head into MySpace the problem just magnifies x 1000.

Yeah , cheesy synths and chorusing of guitars hurt jazz in the 80's.

Late 70's into 82 jazz was fine, mid 80's on was dreck, hence the Downtown scene.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Aug 28, 2008, 16:56
Oh so not true!

Leonard's post reflects my sentiments there, and as he says (sort of) what you embrace does depend on yer own threshold too:-)

x
Pages: 12 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index