Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sir John Dunn
Sir John Dunn
530 posts

Re: Is Nico the John Barnes of Rock?
May 22, 2008, 21:30
keith a wrote:
naughtynige wrote:

NaughtyNige is my real name - it's not my fault my parents named me that way.

My heart goes out to you, NaughtyNige.

Nige is my new hero! I love him, quite simply.

The rest of you can hide yourselves up your own arseholes...
keith a
9570 posts

May 22, 2008, 21:38
Aw c'mon, Sir John. You're messing with my feelings, maaaaan.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 23, 2008, 07:37
May 23, 2008, 07:08
naughtynige wrote:
We're not talking about whether or not people like those particular albums (and of course I entirely agree people like what they like, horses for courses and all that). Keith says in his original post why is she so revered and what did she do after the first Velvets LP? That's what I was responding to. Those 3 albums (Marble Index, Desertshore & The End) are about the most convincing case you could offer. As a body of work they are some of the most compelling and daring pieces of music released under the "popular music" banner in the early to mid 70s. That is why she is so revered, not for a tossed off cover which has a miniscule bearing on her overall recorded output. Ian, I hear what you're saying about John Cale's input and I think you're right. As for his solo career, I've been disappointed at how unsatisfying the albums have been - there is so much pedestrian singer-songwriter guff.
To address some of the other arguments taking place in this thread - for your average Head To Head'er those 3 Nico albums are melodically pretty accessible and this knee-jerk attacking of music which is considered difficult by some really should cease. As should the retaliation against people who don't necessarily like that kind of music. The reason we're all on this forum is surely to rejoice in all forms of great music and to be enlightened about more of the stuff by others. I've noticed some particularly mean streaks creeping in to this forum lately, I fuckin' love a debate but there's no need for insulting people as part of that.
So there.

With you all the way there.

It's a not uncommon Art Rock attitude that music that is accessible is pap and that something that defies traditional melody / harmony / song structure is instantly more important. Then, if you don't "get it", the inference is you must be some kind of dolt or throw-back. Is "Venus In Furs" really more valuable or important than "Track Of My Tears" or "It's My Party"?

Anyway Cale had a golden run and then seemed to be making records for what he imagined his audience to be rather than for himself. Still, even genius producers have to eat and he wasn't exactly flavour de jour in the 80s. Correct me if I am wrong but I think Squeeze was his last commercial project as a producer in that era.

I suspect that at least in terms of the current generation of rock critics Nico is revered by people who have not really listened to her records. She is seen as an icon of the other, high Art, non-hippie, side of the 60s.

Once something becomes iconic it doesn't really matter how people relate to the actual music. And that first VU record is nothing if not iconic. She is enshrined as bona fide alternative star for ever and ever. The anti-Joni if you like. The smacked up Julie Christie. And the fact that her voice is kind of difficult just makes it more appealingly out there for those critics who are worried by conformist structures.

Just to illustrate - Nico's biggest selling album in the US on CD is Chelsea Girl (having sold less than 70,000 - about the same as Trout Mask) none of the other have done much more than 10,000.

The First VU record is on a whopping 360,000. Which is pretty great given that Lou's new releases barely making it into five figures these days. Horses, Marquee Moon and the first Ramones albums combined have not sold that many.

Nothing wrong for being famous for being in the right place at the right time but with Nico it's not her own music that makes her an icon.
keith a
9570 posts

May 23, 2008, 08:33
IanB wrote:

Still, even genius producers have to eat and he wasn't exactly flavour de jour in the 80s. Correct me if I am wrong but I think Squeeze was his last commercial project as a producer in that era.

Squeeze was late 70's. Apart from producing (most of) their debut LP, he also produced their earlier Packet Of Three ep IIRC. Now that's a great little record (1st record I ever bought without having ever heard the band in question, bought after an article in Sounds iirc).

Featuring some great riffs, there was a definite punk influence to PO3. Nothing of the cheeky chappy pop that came later (not that there's anything wrong with that. I think they made some fab 45's).

His presence is also felt on the first Happy Mondays album. Still love that one...
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

May 23, 2008, 08:37
IanB wrote:

Anyway Cale had a golden run and then seemed to be making records for what he imagined his audience to be rather than for himself. Still, even genius producers have to eat and he wasn't exactly flavour de jour in the 80s. Correct me if I am wrong but I think Squeeze was his last commercial project as a producer in that era.

Squirrel Gman etc the 1st Happy Mondays lp with the long title? & I'm not sure if that was the only production he did at the time. But that would be about 86, so possibly there was a gap I'm not 100% sure of his chronology.

Love at least some of the solo lps. The Island Years 2cd is pretty esssential as far as I can see, Sabotage sounds like it should be up there too. Don't know why i still don't have that, though I do have a couple of live sets from '79. He was doing an interesting twin guitar thing with a pretty hard edge. Would like more, would love video.

As to Nico I like those 3 lps mentioned but did find her covering the Jim Morrison poetic improvisation in The End slightly questionable. I guess it is accepted as being part of the lyrics but I think I had a similar response to it being covered straight comparable to the impetus behind starting this thread (sorry forgot who that was). Would've expected her own improvisation possibly.
Do love Secret Side etc from there. Was the lp remastered for cd at all?
Stevo
keith a
9570 posts

May 23, 2008, 08:52
Stevo wrote:

Squirrel Gman etc the 1st Happy Mondays lp with the long title? & I'm not sure if that was the only production he did at the time. But that would be about 86, so possibly there was a gap I'm not 100% sure of his chronology.

From Wikipedia...

Productions
The Stooges (by The Stooges) (Elektra) 1969
The Marble Index (by Nico) 1969
Desertshore (by Nico) 1970
Jennifer (by Jennifer Warnes) 1972
The End (by Nico) 1973
Horses (by Patti Smith) (Arista) 1975
The Modern Lovers (by The Modern Lovers) (Beserkley) 1976
UK Squeeze (by UK Squeeze) 1978 - in US - Squeeze (by Squeeze) - in UK
Squirrel and G-Man Twenty Four Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)(by Happy Mondays) 1987
Louise Féron (by Louise Féron) (Virgin) 1991
The Rapture (by Siouxsie and the Banshees) (Wonderland) 1994
The Boxing Mirror (by Alejandro Escovedo) 2006
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 23, 2008, 09:01
May 23, 2008, 08:59
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:

Still, even genius producers have to eat and he wasn't exactly flavour de jour in the 80s. Correct me if I am wrong but I think Squeeze was his last commercial project as a producer in that era.

Squeeze was late 70's. Apart from producing (most of) their debut LP, he also produced their earlier Packet Of Three ep IIRC. Now that's a great little record (1st record I ever bought without having ever heard the band in question, bought after an article in Sounds iirc).

Featuring some great riffs, there was a definite punk influence to PO3. Nothing of the cheeky chappy pop that came later (not that there's anything wrong with that. I think they made some fab 45's).

His presence is also felt on the first Happy Mondays album. Still love that one...

Thanks, I'm crap on dates. I would have thought Squeeze as an album act were were more 1980 than 1978. The old memory is fucked.

Am just listening to "Save Us" on Helen Of Troy. Sounds just like something from Heaven Up Here. How much did the Bynnymen owe to JC do we think?
dave clarkson
2988 posts

May 23, 2008, 09:59
Cale produced the Nico 1985 album 'Camera Obscura', which is worth a listen (1985),....features a cover of 'My Funny Valentine' which is OK. Overall it's a good album IMO. Also interesting album for the range of musicians and experimental edge to the recordings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_Obscura_(album)

8)
Eduardo
Eduardo
375 posts

May 23, 2008, 13:17
She's fascinating but maybe best heard in small doses. I liked hearing her in Lydon's capital radio thing a while back. Went & bought Desertshore & by the end of side 1 I'd had enough - not tried side 2 yet.
caldervalium
caldervalium
516 posts

May 24, 2008, 09:39
IanB wrote:
keith a wrote:
I was just listening to the Rebel Rebel tribute to Bowie cd that was given away with this months Uncut, when a live Nico cover of Heroes came on.

My god. It's dreadful. It makes Sandy shaw's cover of Sympathy For The Devil sound like some classic cover! Trust me, Bubblehead! ; )

Well you know to a lot of folks VU never did a thing wrong and Nico is kind of frozen in aspic as the blonde Wagnerian goddess of s&m rock and roll. Nico is also a beneficiary of 40 years of rock crit fantasies. They come on all Mark Corrigan in a "maybe she's just mad enough to shag me" kind of a way.

You just can't say she was kinda average. People swear by her genius just as others will tell you the Floyd never did anything good after Syd, that all the best Marley records were on Trojan, that Trout Mask is a work of genius, that Exile is Keef's best album and that Joy Division were more valuable than Magazine ;-) These are now accepted truisms that almost transcend analysis.

To be fair there are some really really good Nico recordings but no where near as many as the critical legacy would suggest. I would argue that she didn't make any records as good as "Broken English" or Annette Peacock's barkingly brilliant "I'm The One" but it is all in the ear of the whatsit.

I can't let this one pass. I'd say "Trout Mask Replica" was a work of genius on several levels;
1) Van Vliet wrote the words and music
2) John French transcribed/interpreted it
3) The Magic Band played it.

QED.

Never liked "Exile On Main Street" much, tho'....
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index