Unsung Forum »
Is Nico the John Barnes of Rock?

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Re: Is Nico the John Barnes of Rock?
May 21, 2008, 20:11
I break the law a bit when it coes to thing VU.
I think their albums are utterly overrated, one trick pony stuff, yet Cale I think is a blimmin genius most of the time (and the best voice to come out of Wales), but Lou Reid just irritates me. His voice, his face, his mullet, his bloody tunes. Dull as ditchwater.
Nico, I'm warming to. I do like the way her 's' sounds linger. There is a little bit of sorrow in there. One person's out of tune warblings is another's free expression (mine too). Perfect pitch is so overrated, banal at times, but it can be good if done with some heart. Very few of the singers I like are always 'on tune' tbh.

x
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

May 21, 2008, 20:25
I am the same Shanshee.

I just don't get VU,Nico or Lou at all and believe me i have tried.

Maybe if they were'nt held in such high esteem by the Rock media and been heaped with praise then i may not have been looking for that special thang!!!

I find them all ordinary and boring.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

May 21, 2008, 20:43
Oh I do get some of what Nico does, usually when Cale's involved.
Saw him 2006 and he was awesome.
Grumpy bastard, but great.
x
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

May 21, 2008, 20:48
Never checked out Cale at all. (maybe cuz of the VU connection).

What would you recommend for a starter Shanshee?
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

May 21, 2008, 20:52
I'm no full expert yet, but of what I've heard I'd say Paris 1919. Lots of haughty horn sections and cellos. How I first heard him. Beautiful though. If you like Drake you'll maybe like this, but for different reasons.
That and maybe 'Slow Dazzle'.
Good luck!x
x
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

May 21, 2008, 21:06
Well quite!

Think i have seen you mention him and Nick in the same post before and i'm a very big fan so thanks for the pointer Shansh and will let you know how i get on!

x
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

May 21, 2008, 21:10
Pleasantly surprised I hope:-))

x
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited May 22, 2008, 13:16
May 21, 2008, 23:30
keith a wrote:

Anyway, it got me wondering why she's so revered, when she's like John Barnes, who played more bad games for the England footie team than anyone else I can think of. OK, he made that amazing run against Brazil all those years ago, and yes Nico graced the 1st Velvets LP (still one of the greatest albums ever IMO)...but what did either of them do afterwards?

She recorded "The Marble Index", which is utterly brilliant from start to finish IMO, and as good - and definitely as inventive, if not more so - as anything Lou Reed or John Cale did after the Velvets. She also made "The End", which is almost equally brilliant, apart from a couple of weak tracks. Even if she hadn't been a hopelessly self-destructive smackhead, those albums would have secured her legacy up until now.
vince
vince
1628 posts

May 22, 2008, 03:26
Sir John Dunn wrote:
vince wrote:
Chelsea Girls has to be one of the finest records ever made.

Desert Shore/MarbleIndex/The End have their moments too, and even Camera Obscura has it's charms. Just be wary of any of the indie stuff she did mid-80's for Flicknife etc. Very dodgy.

Saw her live at a club called the Sensateria in B'ham in the mid-80's. Her promoter offered to introduce us so excitedly we rushed to the dressing room only to find her jacking up into her arse, leather trousers still on. A very sad, pathetic picture. She was pretty unpleasant too.

Calling her John Barnes is a bit off though. She wasn't that bad!

Post of the month.

Why, thank you! Truth is, as they say stranger than fiction.

And just to add my 10 penneth...I think Cale as a solo artist is pure genius. Sure there are lots of duffers in his catalogue but the good stuff has more passion in my opinion than any of the VU or Reed cannon. Bloody good live he is too.
naughtynige
naughtynige
778 posts

May 22, 2008, 08:27
Agreed, the same goes for "Desertshore". Have this lot lost their minds or just not heard the albums?
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index