"A fifty year old man" etc.

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

"A fifty year old man" etc.
May 06, 2008, 22:24
Anyone listeing to the new Fall effort?
No point in (for me anyway) citing the obvious, that he's a continuing pardoy of his former self etc, but there are a few cracking references to Jeremy Kyle and something like 'reduce your singing to noodles/ reduce dobermain pincers to poodles'.
Hehe.
Musically a bit tired, but it picks up towards the last half, it seems.
x
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Re:
May 07, 2008, 07:24
haven't heard a new Fall LP i can remember for in nearly a decade (been seeing the goood reviiews the new one's getting, but am ever-sceptical), but did pick up the Von Sudenfeld rec last year - it's overlong, but the best bits are GREAT i think ... that music works really well w/ his vox (let's face it - he sounds totally insane most of the time, + that's a good thing) - did you hear that one?
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Re:
May 07, 2008, 07:35
Yes, quite liked bits o' that, and it's the same with this. Some great moments, many not so.

Obviously you'll never get a 'great lp' out of him again, but he does make me laugh in the right paces still, he's not lost that.

Dunno why he's obsessing over being 50 though, it's really not as 'old' as it used to be;-)

x
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Re:
May 07, 2008, 11:02
"Musically a bit tired, but it picks up towards the last half, it seems"

What??! - It's certainly not musically tired to my ears. On the contrary, it's the perkiest and most dynamic Fall album since the Infotainment Scan. The first track is a bit of a sludge but Wolf Kidult Man and 50 Year Old Man and I've Been Duped and Strangetown are belters.

The band sound refreshed and its invigorating to hear after the disappointment of the Post TLC and previous few albums.

8)
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Re:
May 07, 2008, 11:05
"Obviously you'll never get a 'great lp' out of him again"

...that's not obvious to my ears - maybe you need some Imperial Wax Solvent in yours! ;-)

It's a fantastic album!

So there

8)
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Re:
May 07, 2008, 11:08
dave clarkson wrote:
it's the perkiest and most dynamic Fall album since the Infotainment Scan.

shit, i thought that rec was pretty dull!
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Re:
May 07, 2008, 11:16
I give up!!

8)
keith a
9570 posts

Re:
May 07, 2008, 11:43
I probably like the last 4 more than Infotainment. Patchy affairs at times I guess, but when they're great, they're REALLY great!

(The title track of the last one was possibly my fave track released last year!!)
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Re:
May 07, 2008, 12:05
yeah, but "great" for MES isn't just yr ordinary garden "great" ... i mean, The Fall made "hex enduction hour" /// that's as good as records get for me ... the bar is raised high, y'know?
anyway. anyone read his new autobiog? i'll wait for paperback or library or something, but liked the excerpts i read in the guardian (!)
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Re:
May 07, 2008, 12:15
I read it last week and it's very funny though obvious fabrication of stuff to his benefit. It's interesting that he cites 'Room To Live' as a very unsung Fall album. I've always thought it was one of their best alongside Hex and Dragnet but it has always been downplayed by the critics.

8)
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index