overrated guitarists

83 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Feb 24, 2008, 03:41
Re: overrated guitarists
Feb 18, 2008, 16:46
Can't think of many who haven't already been mentioned. Eric Clapton - defnitely. With the exceptions of "I Feel Free" and "Anyone For Tennis" I've always found Cream boring as hell. Plus, as Dog 3000 has already pointed out, the Yardbirds got better after he left.

Jimmy Page - I quite like Led Zeppelin, no more, no less, except for that 26-minute version of "Dazed and Confused", which sounds like a slapdash orgy of unfocussed noodling to my ears. And as for that live version of "Moby Dick" - the only person in the world who should ever have been allowed by law to play drum solos is Robert Wyatt IMO.

Peter Green - "Albatross" is brilliant, the rest is just hamfisted cod-blues rock. Give me Lightnin' Hopkins (or indeed any acoustic blues player) any day.

David Gilmour - I'm sure everyone's already heard the joke about him and Eric Clapton being captured by cannibals in darkest Peru. Both guitarists are asked if they have any last requests before being eaten. Gilmour replies "could you please hand me my Fender Stratocaster so I can play 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' one moe time?" Clapton retorts with "Please eat me first".

Richie Blackmore - I hate Deep Purple. Compared to the Sabs and Zep, they always sounded like the runts of the litter to me. This seems especially pertinent when you consider that they started out by imitating Vanilla Fudge, a band who were never much cop in the first place.

Steve Vai. Okay, so he can play 5000 notes in 3 minutes. When I first discovered the joys of masturbation, I could come within that length of time, but I never attempted to make a bloody career out of it.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index