overrated guitarists

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: overrated guitarists
Feb 14, 2008, 19:49
I think Brian May was a terrific and very influential player on those 70's Queen records -- the Van Halens, Malmsteens and Vai's of the world owe him a huge debt.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Feb 14, 2008, 20:04
My standard Crapton rant
Feb 14, 2008, 20:01
My first encounter with Clapton was his 80's hits . . . so my first impression was that he was a "mellow honky tonk singer" like Kenny Rogers or Eddie Rabbit, and certainly not any kind of instrumental virtuoso!!

That pretty much sums up his whole solo career, doesn't it?!?

Even looking back on the 60's, I have to say "what's the big deal?" There might have been a window in late 1965 where he was the most interesting guitar player on the London scene, but after Townshend and Hendrix show up, who could possibly care about his "tasteful blues licks"? The Yardbirds improved imeasurably when they replaced him with Beck and/or Page. Cream made some classic hit singles, but none of their albums are much fun to listen to. Derek & The Dominoes is a total snooze fest (most overrated LP in history??)

Clapton . . . is . . . and always has been . . . VERY BORING!
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: My standard Crapton rant
Feb 14, 2008, 20:11
Dog 3000 wrote:
My first encounter with Clapton was his 80's hits . . . so my first impression was that he was a "mellow honky tonk singer" like Kenny Rogers or Eddie Rabbit, and certainly not any kind of instrumental virtuoso!!

That pretty much sums up his whole solo career, doesn't it?!?

Even looking back on the 60's, I have to say "what's the big deal?" There might have been a window in late 1965 where he was the most interesting guitar player on the London scene, but after Townshend and Hendrix show up, who could possibly care about his "tasteful blues licks"? The Yardbirds improved imeasurably when they replaced him with Beck and/or Page. Cream made some classic hit singles, but none of their albums are much fun to listen to. Derek & The Dominoes is a total snooze fest (most overrated LP in history??)

Clapton . . . is . . . and always has been . . . VERY BORING!

As I said, I just like the Cream stuff he played on, as I was exposed to it as a young kid.
I much prefer Townshend's manic rhythmic flair, especially all his 60s recordings.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Feb 14, 2008, 20:15
Didn't mean to single you out here -- you certainly don't have to defend the guy to me!!
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Feb 14, 2008, 20:17
I agree.

I know this will be unpopular but just take time to listen to Queen I and especially II.
Fantastic overblown pomp in all its glory and very inventive guitar work!

Leave old poodle bonce alone!

8>)
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Feb 14, 2008, 20:23
Dog 3000 wrote:
Didn't mean to single you out here -- you certainly don't have to defend the guy to me!!

Ha! no probs!
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Feb 14, 2008, 20:25
Brian May ? Wasn't he in Eastenders ?

er...I'll get me ol' fireplace and carving knife.....

=8-[]
coldrumhead
608 posts

Feb 14, 2008, 20:33
rojo wrote:
Eric Clapton or Mark Knofler - take yer pick kids

I wish life were so straightforwards example brilliant Eric Clapton solo on Dave Mason track ''you shouldn't have taken more than you gave''
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Feb 14, 2008, 20:36
8>)

Yeah very unnerving getting yerself a doppelganger Mrs!

Was Roly the Poodle involved in a sordid threesome????
Basil Hume
Basil Hume
53 posts

Edited Feb 14, 2008, 20:38
Feb 14, 2008, 20:37
If they'd split up after Queen I & II, they'd be more love on here for that band.

Personally, I love Queen. How can you knock a band that did the soundtrack to 'Highlander'?

Okay, they did Sun City, but they just wanted to play to as many people as possible, and they ended up being huge in South America.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index