137 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: underrated guitarists
Feb 13, 2008, 21:54
Jim Tones wrote:
Too many to mention really, but here's a few (IMHO) ...

MICK RONSON

A man who could make your heart twist inside out!
Good example- the playing on "Time" from Bowie's 'Aladdin Sane'.
He was also a very talented arranger and multi-instrumentalist.

PAUL LEARY

He was the icing on the Butthole cake.
I love the way he would sometimes do a blistering 'parody' of a typical 'rock guitar' solo in a completely different key and make it sound marvellous.
Everything he did with BS was excellent, especially the first four albums.

TED FALCONI

The unsung guitar presence with Flipper

FRED FRITH

'Underrated' in the grand scheme of things.
I like the fact that he could always give the muso folk a run for their money and can also push the envelope with the avant-garde folks.

JOHN McGEOCH

In particular, his playing on The Banshees' "JuJu" album.

CHRIS SPEDDING

He played marvellous skewed lines with Ian Carr's Nucleus, recorded with Gilbert O'Sullivan (!), strutted in a leather jacket on Top Of The Pops, was a shadowy figure on the early british 'punk' scene...to name just a small amount of his activities.

KEITH LEVENE

The sound he had when he was with PiL, influenced so many other 'post-punk' guitarists that came later on.

ROBERT FRIPP

Ok, not 'underrated' as such, but forget about the sustain-o-rama that he's known for and get to hear the track "Suite Number 1" on the album 'The Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles & Fripp' from 1968-
He's only 21 on this recording and he sounds like a seasoned old cocktail-lounge lizard!

I think all of these were supposed to be on the list. Especially ted falconi since i have the Flipper poster from their galway date up in the gallery corridor into my bedroom. dunno why he slipped my mind 3x.
Ronson I've seen as sideman to Dylan and Van Morrison on video & in both he acquits himself totally.
fred frith is one of my favourite guitarists on Henry cow stuff esp Concerts & the Freedom sets.
Fripp was questionable since I don't know if he is underrated. He is brilliant though & I did put Thompson, garcia and Mclaughlin in my list
Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index