Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Re: underrated guitarists
Nov 12, 2010, 01:36
Robbie Basho (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5i5eztZa50

Roy Montgomery (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwcmU2XQGVw)

Michael Yonkers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfMLjrAOr74)
LordBurrito
LordBurrito
66 posts

Re: Rudolph!
Nov 15, 2010, 01:18
I think almost all of the people that these eight friggin' pages have mentioned have even yet to be "rated", and until then is kind of non-sense when talking about being underrated. No offense. Just because you play(ed) guitar in a mildly successful or even unsuccessful group doesn't really qualify you for much of anything other than being a jerk who plays guitar on a recording that may have, at one point (or many points (or at no points!!!)) in time made money, got you laid, got you smack, got you high and then laid, killed, maimed and then laid or just plain real good laid. So maybe, we should all of us, make a list rating the guitarists in this here thread.

Man, I feel like a dick, but my god! I like you guys and what you have to say, but this was getting out of hand :^/
Donkeys-hollow
Donkeys-hollow
322 posts

Nov 15, 2010, 02:52
Ed Wynne

Cesar Rosas

Syd Barrett
keith a
9572 posts

Nov 15, 2010, 08:44
I haven't re-read all these, so I dunno if he's mentioned but what about Chuck Berry?

He has played/written so many licks that are now part of rock music's DNA and, at the same time, has a guitar sound that is totally distinctive.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Nov 15, 2010, 08:53
Nov 15, 2010, 08:52
keith a wrote:
I haven't re-read all these, so I dunno if he's mentioned but what about Chuck Berry?

He has played/written so many licks that are now part of rock music's DNA and, at the same time, has a guitar sound that is totally distinctive.

Yep, and not forgetting Scotty Moore, Muddy Waters, Big Bill Broonzy, Link Wray, hence Dave Davies.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Nov 16, 2010, 09:39
Coz I tend to think of Julian Cope as charismatic rock front man and song writer, I do tend to overlook the fact that he's a pretty darn good multi-instrumentalist also.
I think Teenage Fanclub's Norman Blake is pretty underrated as a guitarist - his work with The Clouds, Boy Hairdressers, BMX Bandits etc goes back to the mid 80's C86 era, and could be said to have gone some way toward setting the musical agenda that was to follow a few years later - the same might also be said for the guy out of The Bodines (lets not forget Stone Roses were not the funky/baggy band we all kid our selves they were, but were in fact a sub c86 jangle pop group for most of their recorded output).
The Wolfhounds had a pretty good guitarist too. And That Petrol Emotion.And McCarthy made a good noise. Yes, the list could be endless, just from that rather maligned era of indie music.

A few have mentioned Will S of Bunnymen - and I have to concur, he was a big influence for me, although I don't know that he's underrated.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Nov 16, 2010, 16:46
Nov 16, 2010, 16:43
Wiggy wrote:

A few have mentioned Will S of Bunnymen - and I have to concur, he was a big influence for me, although I don't know that he's underrated.

He is by Ian McCulloch! 8^)
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index