Ernie Isley.

O' Donal levy.

Melvin Sparks.

Jeff (skunk) Baxter.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: underrated guitarists
Feb 18, 2008, 20:56
Cheers for that dude! Although technically speaking, I'm no virtuoso either ... not that I'd have any wish to be.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Feb 18, 2008, 20:59
Bob Mould. One of those rare instances of someone who's both a virtuoso and an innovator.

J Mascis, David Crosby and Lee Renalso also spring to mind.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Feb 18, 2008, 22:31
Mould is pretty original -- plays "folkie chords" at thermonuclear volume, so he's got a good drone going the whole time, which makes the riffing/soloing sound more fluid.

Here's an ancient clip (headbands!) with a great example of Mould's onstage charm to kick it off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqnvmlGeCKk
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Feb 18, 2008, 22:37
Robert Quine: some staggering live Matthew Sweet on Letterman.

Angular yet organic player at the same time.

Also check out Raybeats.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Nov 11, 2010, 18:16
Stevo wrote:

the entire Benga genre (I only know it cos it's my Dad's tribe that makes this music).

Definitely Daniel Owino Misiani of Shirati Jazz fame anyway. quite, quite amazing. Shame more of you won't get around to hearing him. I really need to further explore this genre so I hope stuff becomes more easily available.

Stevo
Five
Five
960 posts

Edited Nov 11, 2010, 20:04
Nov 11, 2010, 20:04
• Marc Cantlin
• Andrew Woods (not the dead one ... but also based in Seattle)

anybody else I'd care to name is probably mentioned on here already somewhere ...

• Marc Ribot?
• Tim Young? (saw him play a sick show one Seattle 4th of July with a band called Zony Mash)
• All those guys on Dark Magus?
• I like Kurt Cobain's guitar-playing quite a lot, and most don't seem to think of him as a guitar-player at all, so I guess I'd list him as underrated ...
• the guy from the original Mahotella Queens band ...
• Neil Michael Hagerty!
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Nov 11, 2010, 22:14
A seriously under-rated player - Ray Russell. Composer of Bergerac, A Touch of Frost and a lot of other TV work but listen to say the first 10 mins of his 1973 album Secret Asylum for a free jazz sonic freakout that is the equal of anyone. Live at the ICA is another in a similar vein.

A few others:
Loren Connors - instantly recognisable
Alan Licht - Blue Humans and some great solo stuff
Taku Sugimoto - noisy early stuff rather than later silent stuff
Charles Elerbee/Bernard Nix - Ornette's harmolodic crew
Phil Miller - Hatfields, National Health etc
Kevin Drumm
Mary Halvorson
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Edited Nov 11, 2010, 23:09
Nov 11, 2010, 23:07
Pendragon's Nick Barrett is criminally underrated. His solos are massive, melodic and memorable. He is truly unsung.
Pat Travers played a mean guitar back in the 70s and into the 80s and probably still knows his way around the fretboard.
John Simms played a very inventive guitar on the self-titled 1970 debut by Clear Blue Sky.
I'm a huge fan of the "echo guitar" of both Gunter Schnickert and Achim Reichel and would also add Manuel Gottsching to the list.
Johnny Winter is no slouch when it comes to the blues and Son Seals really deserves wider recognition. I saw him a half dozen times in support of his Bad Axe album in the mid-80s and he never failed to impress.
There are others that will come to me after I hit the "add reply" button but these are the first that come to mind.

NP - Eloy/Ocean
Mart
Mart
214 posts

Nov 12, 2010, 00:59
Dog 3000 wrote:
Mould is pretty original -- plays "folkie chords" at thermonuclear volume, so he's got a good drone going the whole time, which makes the riffing/soloing sound more fluid.

Here's an ancient clip (headbands!) with a great example of Mould's onstage charm to kick it off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqnvmlGeCKk

thats brilliant, read somewhere he was into english folk at the time hence the drone, invented "shoegaze" in my opinion.
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index