Weird Beard Psychedelic Folk

15 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Weird Beard Psychedelic Folk
Jan 26, 2008, 10:42
I forgot to mention Tim Buckley. Most of his stuff up to the layoff before Greetings From LA (where he goes funk) fits here. Unfortunately the only way to hear Starsailor in full is to find it 2nd hand or on a blog. Blue Afternoon has at least been reissued on vinyl (though I think I heard that a lot were warped).
Not sure if you can still get Lorca on cd but it was around for years while Starsailor wasn't. It's possibly his most out there set since it consists of long semi improvised tracks where Starsailor 's tracks are normally 4 or 5 minutes.
Happy Sad should be easily available and is sublime, the more commercial side of his folk-jazz experimentation. I think Blue Afternoon is better though.

The Morning Glory set is pretty well compiled though it avoids material actually from Lorca, substituting live versions from the Live At The Troubadour set & could pay more attention to Blue afternoon and Starsailor. Pretty good as an intrioduction though I think.

You could do worse than picking up the My Fleeting house dvd. though I find it pretty delusional that the compiler thought he could cut out ten minutes of the Boboquivari set which was a continuous performance regardless of what he says. I have a bootleg with the full set on, which was doing the rounds for years so don't succumb to revisionist blather.
Just a shame that it's unlikely that the full set will see the light of day in pristine form anytime soon.

Finally another great starting point would be the Dream Letter 2cd set live in London in '68. Again sublime despite the pick up nature of playing with an unfamiliar bassist in the shape of Danny Thompson who shines throughout.

The later funk era is possibly best listened to on live sets.
Most of the live archive is up at www.Timbuckley.org in MP3 form
Stevo

Unsung Forum Index