Re: Uncle Meat/Trout Mask Replica
Jan 20, 2008, 01:14
Absolutely !! ;-)
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Jan 20, 2008, 01:38
TMR, bey very, veeery, VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY FAR!!!
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Jan 20, 2008, 03:52
I don't know about the art thing, but you'd be hard pressed to get me to describe any music as art. I love both albums but I'm still not sure I understand TMR. Hearing the earlier instrumental version of the album on the Grow Fins boxed set, without the Don's vocals or sax (I really don't like his sax playing), really helped me to appreciate how much work John French and the band put into making a fantastic album.

As for Uncle Meat, well I went into a rant about Cope's Louie Louie comment in KRS before so I'll just say that King Kong is one of my favourite songs hands down and the movie is well worth tracking down (let's hope they put it out on DVD someday).
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Jan 25, 2008, 22:27
'Uncle Meat' and 'Lumpy Gravy' are definitely Stockhausen influenced, and taken one step further I couldn't image Faust 1st without Zappa/Stockhausen.

Miles was travelling a similar route and went directly to Stockhausen for 'On The Corner'
Five
Five
960 posts

Jan 25, 2008, 22:49
I listen to Uncle Meat more often - even got to see the flick once or twice on friends' 6th generation VHS

Trout Mask Replica is just SO MUCH TO DEAL WITH!!

The cleaner sound and lack of the Captain on the Grow Fins stuff was revelatory to be sure - I wish I had a copy of that, had to borrow it years back to hear it, was due to check it from Seattle library but then I moved to LA before it turned up, I'll get there I'm sure

That said, I think I own every Beefheart album while I only see certain Zappa as essential

Stockhausen or whatever, both those discs blow my mind... and that said, I wish Zappa had a) kept his mouth shut between tracks on Trout Mask Replica and b) been able to really do the album how he wanted, in their house

Really, I think it's the TONES on Uncle Meat as much as anything that turn me on. Even on the CD (or maybe especially, as I haven't heard the vinyl) it's so WARM and crunchy, it massages your brainlobes, even aside from what the band is doing. And some of those improv-instrumental tracks are WONDERFUL

Trout Mask Replica is sorta like one long song, whereas Uncle Meat breaks down more easily into digestible chunks

Both reveal much to prolonged scrutiny
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Jan 25, 2008, 23:15
Uncle Meat vinyl is beautiful, definitely worth picking up, as is Trout on vinyl.

I am impressed the library had Grow Fins
Five
Five
960 posts

Jan 25, 2008, 23:20
re: library

I was surprised, too!
All the more reason I regret missing it.
It was out, and I had to reserve it, so I guess it was in some demand.

I worked in a picture framing store there (Seattle) and Victor Hayden actually came into the shop one day to frame some (I think they were) Absolut ads he'd designed. Didn't recognize his name til two days later - felt very dumb about it. Guess he lives up there now... What would I have said to him, though, really? "That's right, the Mascara Snake, fast and bulbous!"
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Jan 25, 2008, 23:46
Excellent, fast and bulbous.

Seattle and LA both great music towns, very different standards of living, and climate..
Five
Five
960 posts

Jan 25, 2008, 23:55
Yeah, I miss Seattle hugely (esp as it has been raining in LA for days, makin me 2nd-homesick)

But my girlfriend of 4 years has been here in LA for most of that time, the groups I was playing with up north reached good temporary stopping points, and said girlfriend is doing well enough here that I've been able to take a few months to mix all the stuff I recorded up north without a million distractions - who knew you could go to LA to get away from it all??

Haven't felt any urge to go out and dig the city, tho. Hopefully we'll be out of here in a couple of years.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index