Very British

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Re: Very British
Dec 12, 2007, 18:37
Give em enough rope was produced by Sandy Pearlman who was the manager/svengali/collaborator of B.O.C.
You can definately hear some kind of influence on there!

Going back to the earlier post about rockers-mods-punks-skins......etc.

I recall between 1978-80 catching the bus into Derby most saturdays to shop for records and quite regularly being chased by mods and one time actually having to barricade ourselves in siren records from the baying fishtailed throng!
My Who badge apparently should not have been sitting next to a Hawkwind badge on my leather+of course my hair being halfway down my back did'nt help!

Grebs and punks tended to stick together+ the oi skins too, with the mods and ska skins being the enemy!

Went to many punk gigs with no hassle at all apart from The christmas on earth punk fest in leeds when it was wall to wall rioting with the birmingham punks and skins!

Identity back then seamt to mean everything and the adrenaline created from just going shopping was unreal!
Great days!

I know this is a bit off the beaten track of this thread but memory was jogged and thought i would share!
anybody else with similar memories?
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Dec 12, 2007, 21:47
i'm not popular for saying this but fuk 'em all. i can't stand the Clash and - the people on this site being excepted - reckon that most of the masses who brought their records only did so because they thought that they were supposed to. they were fucking average (i think they were rubbish but hey as i said fuk em all).

they brought nothing new to the party especially when the pistols had just mullered the planet with their mighty slabs of super heavy punk rock.

just a bunch of overated geezers done good.

the pistols would've happened mclaren or not and the pistols got it right and that will always be the cross that the clash will have to bear.

and that's why they've always been marketed as thinking mans punk cos the pistols covered every other base

bring it on Clash fans ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!
keith a
9570 posts

Edited Dec 13, 2007, 00:06
Dec 13, 2007, 00:06
For some reason I went to see Rainbow in 1980 (mainly I guess cos I wanted to see Blackmore live, cos I'd liked him when I was in school, even though I wasn't really into that sort of stuff anymore).

Anyway, the support act were the dreaded Saxon, who really were a pile of poo. They started slagging off mods and though I wasn't one myself, I liked The Specials, etc, and to be honest it galled me that a band this shite had the audacity to slag anyone off.
keith a
9570 posts

Dec 13, 2007, 00:09
Fave Stones thing I've heard in recent times is that download I mentioned in 'soundtracks to...' post - i.e. the out-take version of Silver Train from big o website. Let me know if you didn't hear it.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Dec 13, 2007, 01:17
Always loved the Pistols, they proved the power of a few singles. The album kinda was anticlimatic, it showed they were human.
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Dec 13, 2007, 07:11
i'll never forget hearing, really hearing Anarchy for the first time, yeah i had the album and thought the songs were great but then i heard it at a Stones gig in wembley stadium through the pa system and amongst the dross that was being played it suddenly became lightning clear to me what that song meant. d'ya know what i mean? it was brutal and to the point. it was saying to me, standing amongst all these sensible middle aged people in 1982 'IT'S OUR TOWN AND WE'RE TAKING IT BACK' and i thought then as an impressionable 17 year old heavy rock fan 'fuck yeah, you're right'.
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Dec 13, 2007, 15:06
HA HA!
Agree on all counts mate!

Saxon are/were shit and contrary to how i looked back then thought the specials and especially The Beat were superb but the amount of times i was chased,spat on,kicked back in the day made me and others come to despise mods!

Also loved the Chords!!!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Dec 13, 2007, 15:21
Dec 13, 2007, 15:12
That second wave of Mod was ridiculous. Did you ever see Secret Affair? Terrible old tripe. A cross bewteen Sham 69 and a Zombies tribute band. I remember The Chords being better and some of the more r&b oriented bands being ok but none of it was a patch on the Coventry scene.

The only personal music-related violence I suffered was at a Theatre of Hate gig (probably serves me right) at the 100 Club in maybe 81 or 82 around the time of the Oi! obsession in Sounds and again coming out of a Dexys show at the Old Vic around the same time. Oh and at a Carmel show of all things when my best mate got into a fight with one of her band.

Mods were too busy worrying about their crappy suits and horrble Jam shoes to go around fighting with people. The Casual thing that was around at more or less the same time was much more unpleasant but didn't seem to have much to do with live music unless they were all off watching Luther Vandross and Odyssey which I kind of doubt. Ever hear Bill Hicks' routine about English hooligans? Just about nails it.
Eduardo
Eduardo
375 posts

Dec 13, 2007, 15:49
I always thought of myself as a punk, although I was too young to understand the "real" uk punk scene in 76/77. And it was american bands in early 80s like Black Flag & Dead Kennedys that I latched onto. They were leagues ahead of the exploited or discharge & whatever else was in a similar vein in the uk as I remember.

I was also into loads of UK stuff as well, though it's prob classed as post-punk (specially since Simon Reynolds catalogged it as such). Punk, post-punk, new wave, whatever. I always associated that distinction with the kind of kids who sat round the 6th form common room drawing rock family trees asserting that synthesisers weren't proper instruments.
Eduardo
Eduardo
375 posts

Dec 13, 2007, 16:08
First time reggae seeped into my collection was probably Black Market Clash. Or maybe UB40 signing off. Either one, I didn't recognise it as reggae until my mum (she's a brummie) told me. You didn't hear a lot of reggae in rural wales in the late 70's. It was punk or mod as far as I was concerned.

So were the clash not the first white band to attempt proper reggae? Dub reggae even? Must have been among the first at least.

I heard the sex pistols in reverse - great RnR swindle et al before NMTB. It probably diffused the power maybe, because they never got me excited.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index