Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
What do you truly remember from childhood?

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Re: What do you truly remember from childhood?
Nov 20, 2007, 13:03
Paper rounds were a proper rite of passage weren't they:
Customising your bike with the rack on the back and the apehanger handle bars, black fingers, one shoulder wider that the other, the letter box sized peek into the early morning routine of your customers (Ooh the sexy secretary type at number 42), the mad dogs, the flea in the ear for tardiness - "You're a right bloody "Express" aintcha ?" Did you get Christmas boxes? "Hello I'm your paperboy and I'd like to wish you a merry christmas" and standing there with your hand out, "Erm right ho, wait there a minute son, How much did they give you next door? 50p? Right here's a quid". I used to deliver Elton John's auntie's Daily Mirror, Have I told you that?
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Nov 20, 2007, 13:12
I was only saying the other day The world's a poorer place without Ian Drury. First time I saw him was with Kilburn and the High Roads in a pub in South Harrow and theres two gangster looking blokes carrying him onto stage and then hes there with the flat cap and the glove and the odd boots and playing with those silk scarfs and stuff and singing songs about going for a nervous piss and crippled with nerves and leering and talking dirty with girls in the front row. I wish my kids had somebody like that to look up to.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re:Paper Boy Xmas Boxes
Nov 20, 2007, 13:15
I used to do 2 rounds one round the council houses and one at the posh end of the village, i used to reap it in from the ''poor'' council house folk and get sod all from the snooty big house dwellers, with the exception of one old dear who used to give me a fiver[big big money in them days] a box of crystallised pineapple and some creme de menthe turkish delight.That was my xmas sorted:-)
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Nov 20, 2007, 13:18
I was born in 76, i destinctly remember watching the tv the day john lennon died and asking my mum who he was and why were all those people crying. SHe told me and showed me his picture on the only even vaguley pop record we owned, please please me, i remember playing that a lot.

I also remember singing matchstick man & cats and dogs a lot.

we had this record called 'Stewpots pop party' which was a pretend party hosted by stew francis. I remember the part when he says ' hey kids, hope you all like T-rex, cos here they are coming in through the door now to pay their new song Get It On' that was a fave.

My first memory of a top of the pops performance is probably The Cure doing Love cats with those masks on.

I also remember feeling that Madness were a band JUST for kids and that they only made songs for kids.

Oh and the wombles.
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Nov 20, 2007, 13:20
i was quite excited when i saw a white dog shit in a restaurant garden a few months back, we didnt go back to eat there again though.
Brownie
25 posts

Nov 20, 2007, 13:47
Born in 65 so way too young for any of the sixties stuff although I
remember the radio always being on in the kitchen.

I think the first music I truly remember was probably stuff like
the Rubettes / Mud / Glitter etc
As far as I know my first live gig was Andy Williams at
Scarborough Futurist theatre while on holiday there ..hmmmm
(We holidayed in Filey every year but I think my dad must have had
a pay rise that year and we celebrated by going 5 miles up the road)

But my whole world changed at about 10 or 11 years old when I
discovered some bloke called John Peel playing some weird and
wonderful stuff late at night.

Its a bit of a cliche these days but I truly was one of those
impressionable young kids under the bedsheets at night with my
headphones glued to my ears.

set me up for life it did !!
machineryelf
3681 posts

Nov 20, 2007, 14:01
Can you imagine any kids today sitting down especially to listen to the radio.

My kids think i'm a bit peculier because I'll sit down and listen to a CD

I'm not sure if they have reduced attention spans or just more ability to take in mass media.

They did enjoy the plays on Radio 4 until the BBC banished them [ i quite liked them too, i remember an episode of the Windsinger where this army marched about chanting ''killkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkillkill'' and wondering why they didn't have books like that when i was a kid]
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Re:Paper Boy Xmas Boxes
Most people say that. If you're collecting voluntary money from people, for charity or tip you will normally get more from poorer people.
Sad innit?
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

me too, clearly remember hearing the teardrops session under the duvet on the top bunk, probably about 9 or 10 years old.
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

Nov 20, 2007, 14:10
Beautiful Day wrote:
Seeing Ron Mael staring into the camera on Top of the Pops whilst playing "This Town Ain't Big Enough..." with Sparks is without doubt my most vivid early childhood TV/music memory.

That scared the shit outa me and still does !!

First musical memories include me wanting to be in Baccara (I was the dark haired one,my mate was the blonde).
Wishing I was in Legs and Co (childhood nickname) or The Brian Rodgers Connection so I could "do dancin" on telly.
Getting over excited because the man on TOTP stood on the piano AND he had his coat on indoors.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index