Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
What do you truly remember from childhood?

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: What do you truly remember from childhood?
Nov 20, 2007, 10:11
Beautiful Day wrote:
On a non-musical note I can remember being gutted when Jo Grant left Doctor Who and then doubly gutted when Jon Pertwee did shortly after :D

struck me when i watched the recent BBC3 reshowing of a Jon Pertwee story that Tom Baker looks quite a bit like a younger version of him. Brown hair substituted for grey etc. Was that intentional I wonder?
Do think Baker was about the best Dr.
Probably the one most contemporary to me at the right age maybe? Did love the eccentricities and Tom Baker's autobio is really funny.

Did like both of the most recent ones too quite a bit. But not sure how good any of the ones in the interim since Baker have been.
Stevo
NP Captain Marvel dvd (just ended. Stan Getz, Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke & Tony Williams. Williams and Corea shine throughout glad I got this)
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Nov 20, 2007, 10:23
Dog 3000 wrote:
I don't even know the names of those Miller tunes, but there's one about "the chimes of big ben" and the "faces of the lit-tle chil-dren" that sticks out.

This is England Swings Like A Pendulum do. I think he managed to get on the TAMI show performing it alongside much hipper artists like James Brown, The bYrds & The Loving Spoonful.

Dog 3000 wrote:

And the one about how "you can't roller skate in a buffalo herd" (isn't that song called "Dang Me"?)

No you're confusing two songs. Can't Rollerskate in A Buffalo Herd is a title and Dang Me was covered by Shockabilly on Colosseum.
I like Roger Miller, enough to have a cheapo compi with about 25 of his songs on. Must remember to upgrade.
Stevo
Np Teardrop Explodes Guildford 81
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Nov 20, 2007, 10:27
Nov 20, 2007, 10:24
I was 4 in 1966, the following seem to ring bells.....

Noggin The Nog and The Woodentops ( can still do a Spotty Dog impression )

Mums big blonde beehive

My straw cowboy hat ( good ), the dickie bow for special occasions ( bad ) and elasticated S hook belts, short trousers and sandals.

Everyone being skint.

Peeing in an enamel potty

The bomb shelter in my Grandparents garden

Eating cockles in Plymouth Market with my larger than life Grandad

The Wurlitzer organ that came up through the floor at Plymouth Odeon

Battleships in Devonport dockyard

Uncle Michael's BSA Gold Star

The songs from Disney's Jungle Book (67 ?)

Dave Clark 5 - Bits 'n Pieces

My mum freakin' out when we got lost after getting on the wrong bus after moving to the South East
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Nov 20, 2007, 10:34
bubblehead2 wrote:

...elasticated S hook belts...

Ha I remember those too! Compulsory schoolwear when I went (started '77)! YThose things must've hung around for a few years!

Then you had the 80's take, we called them 'poser belts'. Made of red taffita or summat, had a big silver square buckle thing (not really a buckle coz it 'snapped' into place).
Really narrow. Horrible!

x
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Nov 20, 2007, 10:57
"Eleanor Rigby"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boc7rnhkLAk
*O) charliE born 1967
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Nov 20, 2007, 11:05
Going next door to watch Andy Pandy. Going up and down the street selling tourtoises made out of plastecine and sea shells and getting shouted at by a husband for bothering his wife. People had No Hawkers signs on their gateposts - You used to get spivvy types sticking their foot in the door selling brushes, The Rag and bone man, the coalman, Catching newts, watching steam trains, Saturday morning Pictures, the Chinese getting its windows smashed first night of opening by the local Teds, No men (they were all at work) and no cars (those that had them had gone to work in them) being on the street during the day. My Mum listening out for the Beatles new record on the light programme one evening and then telling me the words the next day “working like a dog, sleeping like a log”. There was no pop radio in them days children. Yes I am very old. Oh and white dog shit obviously.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Nov 20, 2007, 11:14
Various Beatles tunes.

The Dave Clark 5.

Big band & swing tunes, plus vocalists such as Frankie Laine and Ella Fitzgerald.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Nov 20, 2007, 11:15
..munch bunch pencil tops....these were fruit and vegetables with faces on them, wearing hats and waving - got a set of orginals off ebay recently.

TV:
Pogles wood, beatles cartoon, animal crackers, pipkins, hickory house with humphrey cushion.

music:
good...
Terry Jacks - seasons in the sun
Bryan Ferry - this is tomorrow
elton john, abba,
and crap:
Bay city rollers, mud, glitter band etc

8)
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Nov 20, 2007, 11:16
Stevo wrote:
Beautiful Day wrote:
On a non-musical note I can remember being gutted when Jo Grant left Doctor Who and then doubly gutted when Jon Pertwee did shortly after :D

struck me when i watched the recent BBC3 reshowing of a Jon Pertwee story that Tom Baker looks quite a bit like a younger version of him. Brown hair substituted for grey etc. Was that intentional I wonder?

it was the big hair and very prominent facial features that matched their larger than life personas I always thought. Probably just chance though. Funny to think Baker was working on a building site when he got the call for the role.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Nov 20, 2007, 11:17
machineryelf wrote:
Junior Choice and all the old faves, My Bruvver being one that stands out, along with a bunch of Bernard Cribbins tunes, also had an album of Alice In Wonderland that had Frankie Howard on it, i was totally fascinated with his voice. Also had the Mary Poppins soundtrack, and i used to play Feed The Birds over & over, didn't like the chirpy cockernee stuff but i loved a good dirge.Also After The Goldrush must have been imprinted on my mind because i knew it as soon as i heard it on lp much later
On TOTP earliest memories were of Slade,T Rex, Alice Cooper doing Schools Out with sword, Nazareth, and the best one was Hawkwind doing Silver Machine, that really struck a chord[probably the same one repeatedly]
Another vivid memory is Mungo Jerry on crackerjack or similar, IIRC there were quite a few odd groups on kids TV
Banana Splits, Flashing Blade,Robinson Crusoe, best stop now before i drown in nostalgia
As my parents listened to Radio 2 [i assume, it certainly wasn't Radio 1] popular music was a bit thin on the ground, so it was like a bolt out of the blue if something good turned up

Kids today with their MTV and their pod-i's don't know how lucky they are

I was going to mention Junior Choice too. What was that one about "we all go up-up-up-up-up the mouwowowowntain"?!

And Hawkwind doing Silver Machine I remember as clear as day coz it was the very first thing I saw on a colour TV (round one of my dad's friend's house).

As for radio, apart from Telstar etc, I think my earliest memory is Bits and Pieces (Dave Clark 5), which apparently I used to stomp around the room to. That and the Thunderbirds Theme.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index