33 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Obscure Prog
Jun 28, 2007, 19:12
On the lighter side . . .

EGG was a very nice Canterbury band that's not too well known (first two albums are the best, "Egg" and "The Polite Force".)

PICCHIO DAL PAZZO (italian for "Woodpecker of the Well" or somethin) -- their self-titled 1976 album is a gem, also very Canterbury-ish (it's the keyboard sound I guess), but more . . . "Italian symphonic/operatic" I guess.

CARAVAN -- progheads would especially be surprised by "For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night" (1973) I should think. They also did a symphonic album if you like that sort of thing.

With all the plugs they get around here, are HATFIELD & THE NORTH still considered obscure? ;-)

AMON DUUL II's "Made In Germany" (1975) is a bit "prog meets art pop" (my favorite of their latter albums.)

VAN DER GRAAF duude -- but I think the post-1971 stuff is quite a bit overrated. Start with H TO HE and PAWN HEARTS. Some of Hammill's early-to-mid 70's solo stuff has moments that are just as good (it's the same musicians really!)

If you like Robert Wyatt & The Soft Machine, MATCHING MOLE is a much more raggedy-ass version of the fusionoid stuff the Softs got into after Wyatt left (better than latter Soft Machine albums.)

Or get mega-cheezy with the mid-70's sounds of STYX (try "Equinox" 1976) and STARCASTLE! (Prog was hot in Illinois once upon a time!!)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index