Register
Unsung Forum »
when your favourites make you wince!

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: when your favourites make you wince!
Apr 13, 2007, 14:01
that's an interesting perspective, Spaceship.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 14:05
Kid Calamity wrote:
...And then there was the Muppets Show appearance. I sat there watching it on a sunday evening with some members of my family. And remember how embarrassed I felt, still. This figure who helped subvert popular rock music into something a bit unsavoury and dark, singing with Miss Piggy!

Even Ozzy Osbourne did that.

Yesterdays shock theater is tomorrow's kiddie vids. Iggy Stooge played the father of a neighbor on Nickelodeon's 'Pete and Pete'... Mothersbaugh does kiddy music... George Carlin did a stint as the conductor on 'Thomas the Tank Engine'...
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 14:09
postyesterdayman wrote:
Other examples Beck's 'Midshite Vultures'

Actually, I like the music on that one, but lyrically it's trite as can be, yeah.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 14:22
Nah! Songs in the KoL... is one of my very faves. I think it's got some absolute **crackers** on it. Even the slow soppy ballady stuff like 'Knocks me off my feet' and 'summer soft' sound great. Give it a whirl again sometime soon. Fabbie!
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 15:41
Tangerine Dream mid'80s-present (well as far as I know, it's not like I'm checking out their new releases anymore)
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 18:11
don't mind Gaudette so much but All Around My Hat makes me wince.

one that springs to mind for me is Grace Slick and that We Built This City and Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now tripe, what went wrong!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 13, 2007, 21:30
In defence of Elton 'n' Bernie
Apr 13, 2007, 18:31
That's the album with which he blew everything that was great about his first few records i.e. doing the LA singer songwriter thing with a first generation Brit rocker's instinct for boogie. None of that deadly Californian crapola and there's lots of Black Crowes style southern rock and roll swagger to balance the sugary moments. An English Randy Newman if you will.

If you listen to four early records in particular (11-17-70 a great live album, self-titled, Tumbleweed and Madman) and try and forget the showbiz bozo he turned himself into then it puts GYBR into perspective.

What most folks think of as his first classic album was actually his first terrible one though Honky Chateau heads in that direction in places.
keith a
9570 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 19:15
postyesterdayman wrote:
I hate the slick, trebley sheen of Try, Try, Try....the Saint Julianesque, Warne Livesy production just didn't go with the rest of the album and deffo sounded very eighties.

I think Cope was right when he referenced Badfinger.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 20:02
That was the one! I was also remarkably disappointed with Peter Andre's latest record, but I try not to talk about it... ;-)
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 20:03
Oooh agreed, and 'Ebony and Ivory' - none too keen on that one either!
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index