Unsung Forum »
when your favourites make you wince!

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9041 posts

Bolan 1976 on Supersonic
Apr 13, 2007, 13:05
His 1976 show at the Town Hall in Birmingham was pure adrenaline funk/rock, but that Supersonic performance doing 'London Boys' was doomed the minute he cracked that bottle of Jackie D. in the green room.

I thought that performance of 'Dreamy Lady' (at around the same time) was really good, at the time. But seeing him stumbling and pouting through a weedy version 'Telegram Sam' (in my view the best T.REX single by a mile) quite disappointed me. I've got all this stuff on video collections - but prefer to watch 'Born To Boogie, really.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 13, 2007, 14:31
Re: when your favourites make you wince!
Apr 13, 2007, 13:08
I think they are pretty much the same thing - men with guitars and a boner.

What is different from both blues and blue rock is the rape fantasy domination crap that some second wave metal artists came out with. (I'm not going to get into hip hop because I know bugger all about it).

I love blues rock and the odd squeezed lemon bothers me not too much.

I view all this in the same way as the lewder English folk songs that are not exactly free of boldily fluids. 'Bonnie Black Hare' is just a wee bit subtler than 'The Hunter'. Same basic deal though.

You'd have to ask a lot more women (and men for that matter) to ascertain whether one mode is inherently more offensive than the other to them. I would expect you'd get twenty differnt answers from twenty different people.
postyesterdayman
postyesterdayman
931 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 13:11
Julian Cope's My Nation Underground. When I got into Cope, I bought WSYM and Fried first and then jujst continued in sequential order from there...well, I was, needless to say, dismayed when I got to My Nation Underground but after being scared away for a minute, picked up Peggy and realized that it was only a temporary setback. As for MNU...well, I burned it whilst stoned one evening, then my girlfriend adhered it to a burned copy of the first Grateful Dead album and it sat on the side table as 'weird art' for nearly a year.

Other examples Beck's 'Midshite Vultures' Richard Ashcroft's 'Alone with Everybody' (not with me, you crap fucker). Radiohead's exceedingly tiring Amnesiac.
Scott Walker's old man passing a turd concept album 'The Drift'
Blur's 'Stink Tank'
Stone Roses 'Second Coming'
Belle and Sebastian (yes, when they came out I loved them, sue me. I hadn't yet realized they were Donovan and Nick Drake combined) 'The Boy with the Arab Strap'
I really could go on and on....
postyesterdayman
postyesterdayman
931 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 13:18
I think that album would be as good as any if it had been 10 mothers!!! It just suffered from bloat and very poor editing...I mean, who likes Road of Dreams (despite the sweet sentiment).
But Highway to the Sun (one of the best Cope songs EVER!), Queen Mother, Greedhead Detector, Girl Call, I'm Your Daddy, Stone Circles, Wandered lonely as a cloud, Senile get, Wheelbarrow man, and Try, Try, Try would've made a great album, I think. Although, I have to say, despite liking the tune, I hate the slick, trebley sheen of Try, Try, Try....the Saint Julianesque, Warne Livesy production just didn't go with the rest of the album and deffo sounded very eighties. Wish it'd been done just like the rest of the album, but I am sure it was recorded after, and as a concession to Island who was terrified of putting out a record with no singles.
red peony
red peony
645 posts

Edited Apr 13, 2007, 13:38
Apr 13, 2007, 13:37
Oh yes! I would absolutely agree, those three are wonderful tracks.
I remember listening to Harmony over and over again.

It does have the longest outro ever, doesn't it?!
red peony
red peony
645 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 13:39
Oooh, that's making me wince just hearing ABOUT it ;-D
red peony
red peony
645 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 13:43
I do think he's great on piano, but his voice has changed since his early years. He lacks that sweetness that was there on the early albums.

I still play Honky Chateau often. My daughter thinks Hercules is about a kitty ;-)
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 13:52
I guess most 'folk' music concerns itself with real issues and thus as sex is a large part of everyday conversation, jokes etc. it's no surprise it is found in folk music. I do beleive that rock n roll, being the evolution of the blues, is modern folk music in the social as opposed to stylistic sense. In the same way that folk concerns/ed itself with sex, murder, drinking etc. so dies rock n roll, and hip-hop for that matter (and in all forms there are some nice love songs too..)
Radiohead are not a folk band. AC/DC are a folk band. Eminem is no different to Nick Cave. Who is a folk artist.

(....runs for cover...)
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 14:00
Grey Seal is a killer track, yup.

Even at his cheesiest, I do admit respect for Elton John... I can't deny humming along to a lot of his material when it comes on the radio. As far as pop music history goes he's up there with the best of 'em.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 13, 2007, 14:03
Apr 13, 2007, 14:01
I am with you all the way apart from the very last bit.

Folk music when it is really good leans really heavily on that "write what you know" thing and that it should communicate in a voice understandable to the audience and that the material should be able to pass easily hand to hand / mouth to mouth / ear to ear like oral Samizdat.

So you can't be Folk and avant garde at the same time. You can't aim to appeal purely to bourgeois taste and still be Folk either.

So on AC/DC we agree. Defintely. But for me Nick Cave is a bit too concerned with being literature and a cultural figure to be Folk per se.

Maybe ....
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index