Re: BLACK FUCKING METAL
Jan 30, 2007, 21:13
Tiamat - Sumerian Cry? ;¬)
HI DEN
HI DEN
814 posts

Jan 30, 2007, 23:43
When i was 14 years old(94 i think) we went to see Black Sabbath with Tony Iommi and Tiamat was warming, i remember Tiamat being surprisingly heavy, but about Sabbath at that night i don´t remember so much(and it even didnt have anything to do with alcohol etc.!).Though i haven´t listened their records so much, they have been stuck at the back of my head since. Yea.
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Jan 31, 2007, 00:12
Tiamat turned into really lame radio-goth music. Their earlier band, the unfortunately-named TREBLINKA was great though. They only had a few demos.

Mike
GeeZa
GeeZa
137 posts

Jan 31, 2007, 02:54
Fair enough on Satyricon, I think they're a class act. I love divisive bands and they've generally split fans down the middle over the years. Last year's "Now, Diabolical" I thought was a highlight, *totally* commercial riffs, mix and arrangements, but it worked. I also don't think there's enough groove in BM and Satyr adds the groove.

Have you heard Blut Aus Nord or Malveillance with the really quite wonderfully titled "Just Fuck Off"? Both French. Nice call on Katharsis, I'll try and check them out. Not hugely into Black/Thrash metal anymore (since, say, Kreator's "Pleasure To Kill", yeah I'm old) but I like to dip my toe in now and again. :-)
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Jan 31, 2007, 02:57
Yeah Blut Aus Nord is pretty cool. One black/thrash band to check out is AURA NOIR from Norway. It's total 80s but without sounding generic or boring. Plus it has guys from Ved Buens Ende/Virus/Dodheimsgard/Mayhem/Cadaver/Lamented Souls/Inferno in it..and that's just three guys haha.

Mike
ToneStone
ToneStone
1768 posts

Jan 31, 2007, 12:05
Im a close friend Of Martin Ain and have copies of all the Hellhammer demos etc..

"Apocalyptic Raids" is the one that more or less became "Morbid Tales"
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 31, 2007, 16:28
I love "Now Diabolical". It's like if AC/DC went Black Metal or something.
K.I.N.G is hilariously infectious. Can't be doing with all this arsing about if black metal is 'true' or not. Let's face it; it's inherently silly and the more serious they take themselves the sillier it seems. I've only recently got into it but I like the fac t that some bands like Arcturus & Ulver have taken the form into new directions, so much so that the phrase black metal seems very limiting. \m/
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Jan 31, 2007, 17:36
I don't think black metal was silly at first at all. It actually had an ideology and actually stood for something.

Mike
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 31, 2007, 17:56
Well if you're talking about the Norwegian stuff they seemed to be rebelling against the cosiness of Norwegian life. In fact a Norwegian psychologist posited the notion that a lot of these kids had nothing to rebel against, unlike say, living under a totalitarian regime, so they just went to upset people for the sake of it. Like swearing in front of granny or kicking a poodle.

I don't think burning down a few nice old churches is any ideology I'd want to subscribe to. I think it's really stupid.

Soz, but I think people calling themselves stuff like Nocturno Culto, or Frost or Count Grishnakh is wonderfully silly, even if they don't. I don't tdoubt their commitment to making their music. But even Abbath from Immortal recently said something alongt the lines that "...it's all rock n roll. I'm not a priest of Satan. I'm not fucking stupid". The most shocking thing a black metal muscian could do is call himself "Simon" or something.

I think there's some incredible music out there but..
.. All this Satanic stuff is cobblers, regardless of the music. Anyhoo, how can you believe in Satan without believing in God seeing as the version of Satan thus glorified is essentially a Christian construct?

And Venom were three Geordies who just wanted to make a horrible punk/metal racket. And more power to 'em I say.
booga
booga
129 posts

Edited Jan 31, 2007, 20:33
Jan 31, 2007, 20:30
Moon Cat wrote:
And Venom were three Geordies who just wanted to make a horrible punk/metal racket. And more power to 'em I say.

Totally seminal. The Bloodlust / In Nomine Satanas 7" gave us 'death grunts' (Tom G Warrior), and in short, Slayer! That's right... all in one single. They then moved on.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index