Their Satanic Majesties

46 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Their Satanic Majesties
Dec 08, 2006, 22:49
I'd have to agree Brian Jones was the secret sauce behind their best work. I'm not so enamored of them after they decided to stick to "genre music + shock tactics" and sent him to the back of the bus (and then to the bottom of a swimming pool.)

Don't mean to sound so harsh on everybody's favorite "World's Greatest Rocknroll Band", but ya gotta take a stand somewhere! And I wasn't intending to play the race card, but I mean c'mmmmooooon it's so obvious where their inspiration comes from isn't it? My point is not "they ripped off black people" so much as "they've been stuck in an essentially retro/conservative rut since forever." Stick to the rules or grandpas taught us, they did it better back in the 50's/60's/70's!

(Beatles started out with a Buddy Holly fixation sure, but that's got little to do with their 1966-69 output, which is why they are important. When did the Stones ever surpass their starting point and create something new *musically*? Sure, give them all the "style points" you want -- the original "bad boys of rock", imitated by GNR and so many other party bands! That's just not a big deal to me, in fact say that's really passe.)

Anyway, I could go on. Bottom line is I heard all those Stones classics a million times by the time I was 22, and today it's just boring to me (except their bonkers acid period.)

Though the bands I'm in usually wind up covering or jamming on one of those classics (which is fun, sure) . . . and Charlie Watts always impresses me when a tune passes my ear (he shoulda got the knighthood, not Mick!)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index