Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Records that everyone else seems to love, but you don't get.

130 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Tangerine Pete
Tangerine Pete
487 posts

Re: Records that everyone else seems to love, but you don't get.
Nov 29, 2006, 18:50
Lord Lucan wrote:

Television - Marquee Moon
(Listened to this loads of times and I just don't get what all the fuss is about. Supposedly punk in some way this just sounds like guitar wankery prog with a MOR production. The voicce grates and some of the songs are just bloody endless. Yawn!)

yeah. Television were unbelievably boring. Talking Heads as well. that whole era gave a platform to some of the most boring bands in the history of bands -- all that post punk shite...never understood why anyone would want to listen to all that. Even the Clash sound vaguely ridiculous to me now (except for that White Man in Hammersmith Palais 45, which is ace).

I also think bands like Comets on Fire and Secret Machines are quite boring as well -- mystified as to why they're so well regarded. Ditto on the White Stripes...just tedious to me. But what I really really don't get is Wilco. They've elevated this guy to near divinity status here in the states, and his songs are like black holes...smashing all light to the width of one electron. oh and the Flaming Lips, which I'm sorry to have to tell you all, are in fact shit. Why are they popular? Good live show apparently. I suppose it's like prostitution...noone condones it, but if you're good at it, the punters keep coming back for more, regardless of the lack of taste.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index