Register
Unsung Forum »
Young@Heart

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Young@Heart
Nov 12, 2006, 14:30
Anyone see this documentary on More 4, last night. Brilliant and very moving.
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Re: Young@Heart
Nov 12, 2006, 18:20
that was one fo the most moving bits of telly i ever saw, why cant all TV be as good as that. What i found poinient was how the lyrics to songs take on a whole differnt meaning when sung by the elderly, i thought stayin alive was one of the most jubilant things i ever heard. Rock on grandma- quite brilliant.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Nov 12, 2006, 18:44
They've really gone places, haven't they? They're from the Northampton, MA area, just down the highway from here.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Edited Nov 12, 2006, 19:38
Nov 12, 2006, 19:24
Their AVERAGE age is 80!!

We had something like a two and a half hour documentary movie on them - following preparations and rehearsals for a couple of shows, intercut with some promo videos - as well as the actual shows, themselves. Two of their members died within a week of each other, while the group were immersed in vital rehearsals! I didn't check the clock once. Well, I wouldn't have been able to make out the time anyway, through my watery eyes.

They covered songs by Talking Heads, Coldplay and Sonic Youth among others.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Nov 22, 2006, 09:31
Bumped, because Channel Four are running this again, tonight at 9pm.
I highly recommend it.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Nov 22, 2006, 23:00
I just saw it tonight on 4. Christ, we haven't got any 80-year-olds round here like that! They had to get their heads round Sonic Youth! The 'video' at the end for Golden Years was certainly poignant. If I'm even half as full of it at that age, I'll shuffle off very happily indeed.
x
keith a
9572 posts

Edited Nov 23, 2006, 00:11
Nov 23, 2006, 00:09
Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Kid.

Didn't get to see it all unfortunately, but what I saw was excellent.

Brought a tear to my eye on more than one occasion, but was ultimately really uplifting. Excellent stuff.
meurglys III
meurglys III
1085 posts

Nov 23, 2006, 08:48
Shheesshh that made me cry.

The guy singing "Fix You" was an absolute star. As they all were.

Now we know what the Village pumpers will be doing in their dotage. err, next week?

Brilliant stuff.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Nov 23, 2006, 09:00
Wonderful!

I thought they really bought something to the songs - even managed to make a cold play song sound good.
mercian
mercian
302 posts

Nov 23, 2006, 09:21
Yes very good I really enjoyed "I wanna be sedated" good telly cheers.
Unsung Forum Index