Unsung Forum »
list your favourite vocalists

Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

list your favourite vocalists
Oct 11, 2006, 09:54
Hello. Probably been done do death, but who are your all time top ten?
For me, it's

1 Nina Simone
2 Peter Hammill
3 Maddy Prior
4 Shirley Collins
5 Robert Wyatt
6 Gary Brooker
7 Will Oldham
8 Wullie Nelson
9 June Tabor
10 Mel C (music is pure pish, but I think her voice is awesome and I'm not scared to say so!)
joudicca
joudicca
360 posts

Re: list your favourite vocalists
Oct 11, 2006, 10:19
i can't be arsed with it but i do like nina simone.
Zenomatic
Zenomatic
173 posts

Oct 11, 2006, 10:27
Elizabeth Fraser - she's made me cry, she's made me euphoric, she's given me the horn... it doesn't matter what mood I'm, she fits the bill any time. AMAZING voice/vocal style.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Oct 11, 2006, 10:55
Tried resisting the temptation to add to another list thread, but I give in...

In no particular order...

Mark Hollis, Captain Beefheart, Damo Suzuki, Lisa Gerrard, Scott Walker, Nick Drake, Lou Reed, John Lydon, Kate Bush, Mike Patton, Robert Wyatt, William Burroughs
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Oct 11, 2006, 11:02
Yes! Mike Patton. He's that rare thing. Most 'knowledgeable' music fans will dismiss him as a 'heavy metal bloke'. I think Angel Dust is one of the best produced white knucke rides you'll ever hear, and I do sort of dislike all things Kerrang, if you know what I mean. But Patton's got this great mixture of irony, pathos and drama, and enough beefcake to rile the idiots who don't get it. Oh and Scott Walker...Plastic Palace People. Heavenly.
Zenomatic
Zenomatic
173 posts

Oct 11, 2006, 11:06
Saw Mr Bungle in Leeds about 10 years ago - Mike had around five mics, all with different effects on. That man is insane, genius, but insane
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Oct 11, 2006, 11:19
Yeah, his range of stylings is staggering. He can go from seductive croon to the devil's growl in an instant. I saw him performing recently at this http://www.barbican.org.uk/music/event-detail.asp?id=4299 .
It was incredible. He managed to sound like a crowd tortured souls from Dante's inferno: screaming, growling, yelping, howling. Mad stuff. I was never a Faith No More fan, but love everything he's done since leaving them.
Rolling Ronnie
Rolling Ronnie
1468 posts

Edited Oct 11, 2006, 11:28
Oct 11, 2006, 11:26
In no particular order

1 Richard Sinclair
2 Peter Hammill
3 Roger Chapman
4 Shirley Collins
5 Robert Wyatt
6 Gary Brooker
7 Derek Shulman
8 John Martyn
9 Colin Blunstone
10 Mike Heron

and Linda Thompson
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Oct 11, 2006, 11:31
Angel Dust is a great album. I remember when midlife Crisis came out thinking "where the hell did that come from". It's now the blueprint for all 'Nu'-metal and sounds familiar as opposed to completely weird. although, it hasn't aged at all. I just wish some of the rip off merchants would have a little imagination. The few that do can be astounding.
mole
210 posts

Oct 11, 2006, 11:54
Ian McCulloch
Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index