Re: Where are some good places to live...er...in England i mean
Oct 08, 2006, 09:57
Scotland. Vive l'ecosse!!!!

(We're still dancing. FFS one goal)
popa
1 posts

May 08, 2009, 21:14
Headley Down quite nice. Bit of a drive on the A3. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headley_Down and http://www.francisfrith.com/headley-down/
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

May 09, 2009, 01:40
Falmouth!

UMMMMmmm but thats not really England tho?
(((Norman Wisdom grin http://media.photobucket.com/image/Norman%20Wisdom%20grin/culnara/3185847_tml.jpg)))
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: England
May 09, 2009, 05:12
Yep, Cambridge isn't the cheapest place to live in the UK, though it isn't that bad really. I live there, and it is a pretty good place to live. Obviously the architecture is great, and it's a pretty tolerant society with many nice areas surrounding it. It's mostly a flat green landscape though. I'm a northerner originally and personally I find this flat landscape a tad dull (though we do live on a hill here, on the edge of the gog magogs). Culturally though, well, its a bit odd. We do get pretty good music here of many types, some great classical music events too, and a pretty good film festival. Thing is though, its a very eccentric place (as in a lot of people here are eccentric, mostly due to the Universitys influence), it's overly English in some ways, and overly middle class in others (way too many kids here get given classical hellenic myths inspired names) which some could find a bit cloying.

I'd say, speaking as someone from there originally, live in the NW (manchester or a town around it) and visit Cambridge. Cambridge is...well.. odd, beautiful but odd, it's not remotely representative of the country.
Seatown
71 posts

Re: In defence of London
May 09, 2009, 17:24
I'm a Londoner born and bred for all intents and purposes.So much to admire as well as some stuff on the negative side.However I live equidistant from centre of London and open countryside.I feel I have the best of both worlds.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

May 09, 2009, 19:09
Beverley is just weird. Nearly ran over a cow on those open pastures that cleverly border all the roads in and out of the town. Liked the tank museum though.
kingrolo
kingrolo
37 posts

May 10, 2009, 05:45
Yeah I lived in Cornwall for about 3 years (in total in between lots of coming and going) and it is totaly out of the way. But people do gig there!! Check this: Sunburned Hand of the Man, Acid Mothers Temple, Man, the Muffin Men (with Jimmy Carl Black) and loads loads more. Penryn and Falmouth definitly has something going for it (thanks to Lono records http://www.myspace.com/lonorecords) Plus it's a truly strange place and of course there's them stones and surf and all that. Not many trees though.

I've also lived in London. Fuckin awfull place though loads of gigs and totaly cosmopolitan and all that.

There are loads of good places to live but they are all tucked away somewhere and you really have to be in the know.

I grew up in Lancaster and it was a really cool place for years, and probably still is. One of the best views in the world over Morecambe Bay (even with a nuclear power station) and near the Lakes, Scotland, Isle of Man, Pennines, Yorkshire Dales. Quite a wonderful part of the world. Obviously it has it's shortcomings. But loads of good bands pass through there these days (Dogntank, White Hills, Acid Mothers, John Renbourne, etc thanks to the yorkshire house http://www.yorkshirehouse.enta.net/ )

But really you've just got to follow your nose. If you really want to go there look out for the door - I'm sure there's one there for you somewhere.
kingrolo
kingrolo
37 posts

May 10, 2009, 05:53
Yes Falmouth!!!
Wives of Farmers!!!
Troubador!!!

There is no defense for London. London is it's own defense!!!

You could try Gretna Green too.
Or Bainbridge.
Or perhaps Osmotherly.
Maybe Fleetwood?
What about Blissland?
Or Ingleborough?
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 11, 2009, 08:55
May 10, 2009, 09:51
Nice list.

People who think of themselves as non-conformist and yet talk seriously about feeling unsafe in the capital want to spend a Saturday night in any one of a hundred country towns. Stab vest my arse! As for bombings you are a million times more likely to be knocked down by a drunk driver.I never give my kids safety a second thought in London except when they are crossing the road.
Seatown
71 posts

May 10, 2009, 13:58
Living in London you rarely have that sense of ennui that life is being lived elsewhere.It's great to get away from London and say head out on the M4.Then again I'm always glad to come home.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index