Unsung Forum »
R.I.P. Syd

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Strider
1 posts

Re: Roger is finally at rest........
Jul 24, 2006, 23:58
Thank you so much for allowing us to know the details of Roger's funeral. I'm sure it is of great comfort to many fans.
It was also comforting to get to know Roger and the family just a little better. It helps us to know that Roger was happy in the life he led.
As for the PF fans that read this, remember always the dedication of David Gilmour in seeing to it that Syd was looked after. He obviously was a true friend.
And, of course, as a PF fan it was interesting to hear that David Gilmour commented about a concert dedicated to Syd. Time will tell just what that means.
astral
1 posts

Re: possible tv tribute
Jul 25, 2006, 14:04
Hello Ian,

I appreciate this is still a very sad time for you and your family.

I run a website www.sydbarrett.org and a forum called Astral Piper - The New Syd Barrett Appreciation Society. Please have a look so you can see we are a very friendly bunch and appreciate your late uncle's music very much.

Would you be at all interested in doing an interview for the website?

If so that would be wonderful and your time greatly apprecited.

Please let me know? I may be contacted at [email protected]

Cheers,
Dion.
eddydyer
1 posts

Jul 25, 2006, 20:53
Ian,

please accept my heartfelt condolences on the passing of your brilliant and courageous uncle.

His music opened many, many doors for me when i was just learning to play the guitar and write songs, and i continue to find something new in his lyrics with every listen...

i have no wish to romanticize the events surrounding Mr. Barrett's parting with the music industry, but i have always had great admiration for the fortitude displayed in his ability to STAY away from it...no other person has inspired me more to work outside of that world of vultures and false prophets that define the world of pop music business.

"I know why Syd Barrett said
'I'll never fucking do this again'
these Sunday mass media motions
til you never taste your tears in the rain"

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family...It is my sincerest hope that his spirit might rejoice in the happiness his music and imagery have brought to us all and those of you closest to him might find some comfort in this.

"Thunder in the Earth, the course of Heaven
Things cannot be destroyed once and for all..."

much peace to you, Rosemary, and all who loved Roger.

eddy
warrior
1 posts

Jul 26, 2006, 22:50
I just wanted to add my best wishes/sympathy to all of Roger's family and say i'm really glad the press didn't bother you at the service.

Also, I didn't know if you'd heard about another tribute: a couple of weeks ago I saw the Red HoT Chili Peppers. Their guitar player is a huge fan of Syd's. At the lull before the encores, he came out on his own and played "Jugband Blues" and paid a very warm tribute to Syd in front of a packed Earl's Court exhibition centre.

As i'm sure you know by now, although we didn't know him at all, we love him in our way - and won't forget him. And i don't need an american rock star to remind me of that...

Love,
Claudia
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Syd Tribute, Thursday. 11:20 BBC2
Jul 27, 2006, 19:31
A Tribute to Syd Barrett

Thu 27 Jul, 11:20 pm - 12:10 am 50mins

Syd Barrett - Crazy Diamond: A moving account of Barrett's disintegration and struggle with the demons in his head. Members of Pink Floyd describe how he still haunts their lives and music.
Nikinakinoo
Nikinakinoo
1281 posts

Jul 28, 2006, 23:40
Thank you for sharing all that information Ian. Funnily enough, from reading a few things you had mentioned about Syd I had already suspected Autism/Aspergers from the little you wrote, and then I read the TimesonLine article with your aunties comments saying she thought he was bordering Autism and it was what I suspected. That would explain EVERYTHING. Typically many people have been wrongly labelled with mental illness (especially the older generations in the years when Autism was hardly spoken about) when they were/are in fact autistic. I have heard many people speak publicly about their autism and it is amazing how many were wrongly locked up in mental institutions, only to find many decades later they did not have a mental illness, just Autism or Autistic traits.

Ian this is not meant towards you and it is slightly off-topic, but I just wanted to say to anyone reading this thread that people who have MILD Autistic Spectrum Disorders lead normal everyday lives. They can suffer a lot of internal stress (often linked to fear). The more stressed they are the more self-absorbed they become, the more classic autistic behaviours become apparant. The only thing that can break them away from the self-absorbtion is the Stress eventually ebbing away or avoiding things that trigger the stress in the first place - they know so well what upsets them and how to deal with it, even it it takes years to suss out how to combat it. They try incredibly hard to fit in and it takes a lot of effort to do so. When a person with MILD A.S.D. is not stressed and they are content with their life you wouldn't have a clue that they were any different to anyone else (unless you saw them regularly/daily) and during those calm and happy times they ARE like anyone else.

I know this from experience because I have a child who is on the very mild end of the Autistic Spectrum (the Aspergers end) who can appear very very very typically 'normal' but if you spent a lot of time with him you would see a different child. Mr Nakinoo and myself sometimes want to strangle some people who don't see him regularly and say 'well he seems normal to me'. Gggrrrr. The Autistic traits are not apparant all the time on the mild end of the Spectrum but each person has different triggers and different ways of coping - many chosing to act normal and hold it in but will eventually have to 'let it all out'.

Ian, I am sorry, I feel guilty for having gone off on a rant on a thread about your Uncle. I'm sorry. But, I understand why Syd did what he did now. It all makes total sense and I'm glad he avoided what he wanted to avoid and that many people who just knew him as Roger loved him.

NNN xxxxx
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: I've Been Blown away By The Response
Jul 30, 2006, 01:51
Your uncle was so important to the sixties and everything that came after it, and to all my friends.
My own best friend Peter Cummings, who I knew most of my life, from childhood, was also a musical prodigy, but also suffered, and withdrew from the world. He died right after the Tsunami in Indonesia, of heart failure brought on by scleroderma.
What is immortal about him, and your uncle, is that they created beautiful music that lives on.
I know and share how you must feel... sadness, but a sort of triumph in having known and loved such a talent who brought a deeply felt artistry to us all.
jellyfysh
jellyfysh
247 posts

Re: R.I.P. Syd
Aug 02, 2006, 10:47
Something I've just come across myself from an interview Tim Willis - the author of the most recent biography on Rog gave to a website.

'One bit of unpublished news. Not Syd's last words - but still, some very interesting ones. When he was at home, in the last week of his life, his sister asked him what he thought about God and the after-life. "Do you know," Syd replied, "it never occurred to me."

That has tickled me no end!

It sings of perfect Rog!

Love to all

Ian

the rest of that interview is at

http://www.pink-floyd.org/barrett/TimLastSyd.html
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Re: R.I.P. Syd
Aug 02, 2006, 11:32
that is beautiful