R.I.P. Syd

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Re: R.I.P. Syd
Jul 20, 2006, 15:45
Cheers fer the article ... it all makes sense now.
I luv Syd...I sooooooo get him.

(((yaLi)))
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Jul 20, 2006, 21:05
my heartfelt condolences to jellyfish.
he touched so many, so deeply.
i was saying to a friend: "wouldn't it be something if all of us sharing this sadness could be in one place, there must be millions of us"
and here we are, a small percentage of us anyway.
i had a chance to do a bit of a radio tribute here in NY, played the entire 9/13/67 Copenhagen concert on the air (wkcr) last week and some other stuff including old pals Kevin Ayers and Robert Wyatt.
just a little bit i could do to show appreciation and spread the word.
i think his love of gardening, painting flowers, jazz and curry is just as touching really.
cheers for Roger.
jellyfysh
jellyfysh
247 posts

possible tv tribute
Jul 21, 2006, 16:04
I've been told - but I can't confirm - that there is a TV programme about Rog on Sunday night
Don't know what channel

if anyone knows more it would be good to see

Hopefully it isn't just a repeat of the Omnibus one. Good as it is it would be nice to see something new.

If anyone doesn't know Youtube - there are loads of video clips of Rog/Syd from different sources.
www.youtube.com

Something from after his funeral which tickled me no end.
When we all met for a drink after the ceremony, My aunt Rosemary brought out a box of condolence letters and cards she had received.
One of them was from the Building compnay that she had to employ numerous times to come in and put right Rogers many botched attempts at DIY!
You can imagine them being very upset when they found out they wouldn't be making any more money out of him!
sttomas
sttomas
1123 posts

Re: possible tv tribute
Jul 22, 2006, 12:21
Not sure about sunday, I can't find anything in the tv guide, but the omnibus is on on thursday at 11.20.
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

Jul 22, 2006, 16:21
We've got silly Welsh tv Tom, always a week behind everybody else, will have a look too. xx Thanks Ian. x
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jul 23, 2006, 16:15
A belated RIP from me too - I've been away and had no 'puter access but I heard of Syd's passing just before we left.

Compared to many HHer's I guess I must be a relatively recent convert to Syd's music but as soon as I got 'Madcap..." and "Barrett" it was clear to me what everyone was going on about. The strength of the songs combined with the fragility of the delivery is almost unique in rock - that and that wonderful strain of English pastoral acid tinged folk that permeates - Syd was a true minstrel of those out of the corner of your eye moments of otherwordlyness, where a cup of tea is a whimsical ritual and dancing on the whitelines in the middle of the road in a sodium glare is a little celebration. People talk of Syd's fragility and while there's no doubt of it in relation to the world we are asked to live in, I feel it takes a special kind of strength to see beyond and illustrate a singular vision with such beautiful style and fractured elegance. Syd may have been fragile, but never weak.

Last Monday, whilst suitably altered, me chums and meself gazed on a magenta sun setting behind mountains on a beach and cracked open a tinny each as we watched the waves lap onto the sand and slowly erode our three letters in the sand "SYD"

Hope he's in a better place
whydoyouthinkthatis
2 posts

why do you think that is???
Jul 24, 2006, 17:21
jellyfysh wrote:

There was no need to bring God in when he had never made his presence felt before.

Did anybody ever invite Him??? He's not The Adversary, you know. He's actually very polite, and will not show up uninvited.
sttomas
sttomas
1123 posts

Jul 24, 2006, 17:52
Well for those of you without silly Welsh tv, it's on then!!
jellyfysh
jellyfysh
247 posts

Re: why do you think that is???
Jul 24, 2006, 22:48
Hi
I'm not sure why you appear so defensive about religion?

All I was saying was that Roger didn't live a religious life so it wouldn't have been appropriate to give him a religious funeral.

I wasn't criticising religion at all.

Thanks

Ian
whydoyouthinkthatis
2 posts

Re: why do you think that is???
Jul 24, 2006, 23:06
I'm sorry! You're right. I do tend to get defensive sometimes. I don't like it when people (appear to) speak badly/wrongly about my family (to make an analogy). Once again, I'm sorry. God Bless You!
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index