Unsung Forum »
most psychedelic album ever

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Wella Balsam
34 posts

Re: most psychedelic album ever
Oct 29, 2001, 22:38
I agree, Cottonwoodhill is sublime but I would add that the term 'psychedelic' brings images of acid, carpets and patchouli and puts many people off. Most of the albums mentioned on this site are gorgeous magick/music. Full Stop.

Many of them may not even be considered 'psychedelic' by someone somewhere.
But if I personally had to choose a really intense record I'd choose Electronic Meditation.
Telepathine
371 posts

Re: scientists
Oct 30, 2001, 09:58
Thanks for that, actually, after i posted i realised that Karbon was a UK based label. We Had Love is still one of my fave Scientists 12", it seems to distil their sound to it's essential components. Yeah , wierd love was the Scientists 're-interpreting and re-recording' their back catalogue, and like we had love, i think it's them at their best, relentless, loud and repetetive.
The Human Jukebox is a whole different kettle of fish though, i think it was the last album proper as the Scientists, and sees them take the repetition thang to it's logically distorted extreme, though only Kim salmon and Tony Thewlis are left from the original lineup (also Kevin Coyne makes an appearance on the album).
I think sub pop put out a compilation of Scientists stuff in the early 90's, though i didn't buy it, as i had all of the stuff already.
On a slightly different tack, i bought a copy of a Kim Salmon And The Surrealists LP from a record/video exchange for a £1:00, it's called 'essence', and kinda takes off from where the The Human Jukebox left them, it's ok (and on yummy red vinyl).
I remember seeing them support the Sisters Of Mercy in the early 80's, and they totally blew the sisters off stage.
YourMindFire
28 posts

Oct 30, 2001, 13:35
In the running for their particular characteristics under the influence:

Pure Phase - Spiritualized
SF Sorrow - The Pretty Things
Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
On the Corner - Miles Davis
Faust Tapes
V/A - Isolationism
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Oct 30, 2001, 16:15
I agree with all of these nominations, but my only reservation is that they're mostly from the 60s and 70s. No problem with that, but there's a lot of modern stuff around which is just as trippy, so for my list I'm going to stick to albums released in the 90s.

Boredoms - Vision Creation Newsun
Bardo Pond - Dilate
Tricky - Maxinequaye
Seefeel - Quique
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Vol.2 (comedown time)
V/A - Monsters, Robots and Bugmen
Scorn - Evanescence (paranoia time!)
Omni Trio - The Deepest Cut Vol.1
Sonic Youth - A Thousand Leaves
Labradford - Mi Media Naranja

That should keep your ears occupied for 12 hours at least. Now where's that videotape of "Metropolis"?
Telepathine
371 posts

Oct 30, 2001, 16:36
Nice list, i remember having a particularly harrowing time watching Eraserhead whilst zooming across the cosmos, i still shudder to think of it, though it's gotta be said, what were we thinking of watching it whilst 'phasing'.
Zos
389 posts

Oct 30, 2001, 16:55
Cottonwoodhill is definitely a great one... here's some of my faves, not all psych per se, but good drug musick!

The First Acid Mothers Record - Speed Guru is one of the most life-affirming, joyous, hypnotic things I've ever heard.

Coil - Constant Shallowness... - Beautiful with headphones... (and some mild psychedelics)

Death Ambient - Synaesthesia - Can be very harsh at times, but there's a lot of great textures.

Angel'in Heavy Syrup - IV - Beautiful female psych band from Japan, great complex, mellow-rocking tunes.

Sand - Golem (on the Ultrasonic Seraphim re-release) - Dense, heavy, mantric Krautrock without much of the rock. Genius, but a bit heavy going. Beautiful, beautiful lyrics.
xyz
15 posts

Oct 30, 2001, 19:48
If we're talking about the most psychedelic album of modern times, then I reckon the work of producer Simon Posford has to come into the equation. I don't know if anyone here is familiar with his work under the names of Hallucinogen and Shpongle, but basically it's the most tripped out electronic music imaginable. Coming from the Gong / Ozrics / Orb school of mind warping madness this guy has produced some amazing stuff over the last few years. Check out the Shpongle lps 'Are you Shpongled' and the new one 'Tales of the Inexpressible' and Hallucinogen's 'the Lone Deranger' for further proof. Kind of hybrid electronic / folk / dub / trance type stuff, but far more emotive and well, generally further out than most.

Plus he seems to be based in Wiltshire. Must be something in the water...
dude from bude
14 posts

Oct 30, 2001, 21:15
Try 200 shrooms and listen to kraftwerks first album in particular rucksack ,it has the shroomiest danciest vibe ever.
Wella Balsam
34 posts

golem!
Oct 30, 2001, 22:03
oh yeah, sand! must give it another listen soon...
what a beauty! have you got the triple album or the double? I've never heard the single that came with it, but I seem to remember it's just a version by nurse with wound / steven stapleton ??

so is speed guru

good taste, zos!
Zos
389 posts

Re: golem!!!
Oct 30, 2001, 23:00
Yeah, I got the single with my copy. It's a cover of May Rain by Current 93 with Tibet on vox/guitar, Stapleton on risset-toney drones and Rose McDowall on backing vocals. It's nice, Stapletons drones give it quite a harsh edge, though. I can mp3 or post you a copy if you really want it, but it's only 4 mins in total.
Yeah, I love the album too.. I think the lyrics are extremely lucid - the first thing they reminded me of were alchemical engravings... wow :)
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index