Unsung Forum »
Your least favourite acts, ever

212 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Your least favourite acts, ever
Aug 01, 2005, 22:44
Haven't heard Duster Bennett or Martin Simpson tbh, but I have a couple of John Martyn albums and yes, they're both good. I don't really consider him a blues artist as such, though, as he was inspired by such a wide variety of sources (from folk to reggae to jazz to African pop) that it's difficult to pigeonhole him into any one genre.

Sure, if we're talking about white electric blues-influenced musicians with full bands I like Captain Beefheart, Kevin Coyne, the Yardbirds, the Groundhogs etc. but for me the crucial appeal of those artists is that they took Delta blues as a starting point and mutated it into something that was recognisably their own. From what I've heard of a lot of early Fleetwood Mac, though, they sound just a little bit too reverential towards their sources to really develop into something special, though. Sure, they were technically brilliant musicians but with one or two exceptions such as "Albatross" and "The Green Manalishi" I find their music a little derivative. Same with Cream - there are a few tracks I really like, but a lot of it just sounds to me like a fairly ham-fisted reinterpretation of earlier material. Don't take it too personally, though. I'm not claiming to be an authority or that my opinions are any more vaild than anyone else's, just describing my emotional reactions towards what I've heard.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index