Jun 25, 2005, 15:26
I loved The Pastels though.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

"experimental" & Radiohead
Jun 25, 2005, 17:18
"groundshaking release" . . .

I have recently decided any major label release described as "experimental" or "groundbreaking" is crap by definition.

Besides there's nothing remotely "experimental" by running a tape backwards or whatever little production gimcracks that word is meant to convey these days . . .

[Remaining blessedly ignorant of Coldplay for now -- seriously I could not hum one measure of one song -- but hating them from a distance anyways.]

Speaking of Radiohead, SPIN magazine has just put out a list issue "100 best albums of the past 20 years." Actually I thought it was a decent list on the whole, except for their #1 pick "OK Computer."

I agree that's Radiohead's best album -- but if you stripped away all the "british classic rock" eleements (Floyd, Queen, Zep) -- what's left? Laptops and a squeaky voice?
Sootickle
Sootickle
1039 posts

Re: "experimental" & Radiohead
Jun 25, 2005, 17:38
"what's left? Laptops and a squeaky voice?"

That made me laugh like a drain, and I like Radiohead
Sootickle
Sootickle
1039 posts

Re: "experimental" & Radiohead
Jun 25, 2005, 17:40
I'm hearing a lot of twaddle spoken, on radio, about Jay Kays new one. And boy, what I've heard of it, it sucks the big one - it's SHITE
Sootickle
Sootickle
1039 posts

Re: Coldplay
Jun 25, 2005, 17:41
The Quarry album has some excellent music on it. At least Morrisey does not go for the Coldp, sorry common denominator and the need to sell as many as possible. I blame Thatcher for the bland state of our youth today.
Sootickle
Sootickle
1039 posts

Jun 25, 2005, 17:42
More fucking IRRITATING
Sootickle
Sootickle
1039 posts

Jun 25, 2005, 17:42
LOL
Sootickle
Sootickle
1039 posts

Jun 25, 2005, 17:44
Good question - let me think about it
Sootickle
Sootickle
1039 posts

Jun 25, 2005, 17:53
"All it'd do is provide a chart placing for Geri Halliwell or someone similar."

And you think Coldplay are any better than Geri Halliwell.

My argument, or one of them, can be summed up by using Amarillo as an example. Good music is always good music no matter how old, what the genre etc. If I gone out to my local club a year ago and played Amarillo the average punter would have told me it was shite. Now because radio, TV etc tell people it's good off they trot like lemmings and purchase it.

Most people don't get anything unless it's sold to them by the marketing men. Thus if the marketing men decide that they don't like Gorky's and that Coldplay are cutting edge, then what do we get and what do be blindly purchase? You've guessed it Coldplay.

Having recently bought the 4CD Aretha Franklin Live at the Filmore I can tell you that despite being over 30 years old and having numeerous flaws, this is a superb example of real talent, not only Aretha's, but the backing musicians as well. This is real soul music, not Blues Brothers pretence.

I love music and I hate when things, which are patently obviouls bland to anyone with any modicom of taste, being touted as cutting edge just 'cos lots of people buy it.
Sootickle
Sootickle
1039 posts

Jun 25, 2005, 17:54
I don't have a problem with people listening to it per-se, but when it's all around my well I don't want it.
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index