nasty prog

209 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: nasty prog
May 09, 2005, 21:02
I've mentioned this before (lots of times!), but it always intrigues me that in recent years, so many of the people involved in 'the punk years' (players as well as journalists), have suddenly 'come out' as being prog fans in the years before 1976, yet they wouldn't have dared mentioned it in interviews or articles etc. when the 'new wave' was coming up.

To me, it was such a relief when everything changed in the mid-seventies, as things were getting overblown.
But to hide what you used to listen seemed ridiculous.
John Lydon and Mark Perry couldn't give damn about 'hipness' though....then and now!

Apart from VDGG and early King Crimson, I find I listen to an early Yes/ELP album now and then (not too much!), as a strange sort of nostalgia thing to remind me of friends / times from years ago etc.

I remember when Magazine released their debut album in 1978, whispers of 'progressive punk rock' were uttered in the music press.
Yet why did Howard Devoto not mention listening to Yes in his earlier years in interviews of the time ?....and wait until 2002 for his 'confession'!

Oh the demands of 'Hipness' are so very strange!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index