nasty prog

209 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: nasty prog
May 07, 2005, 01:02
Approaching buying an album which could in any way be classed as prog-rock makes me very wary. With the sheer amount of horrible prog rock out there, it's a bit like walking through a room with pins all over the floor in bare feet. I definitely need to turn the light on by checking the net and any other sources before buying, just to be on the safe side. This means I've on the whole managed to avoid really dire stuff. Even so, I've still been burned occasionally...

Blitzkrieg by Wallenstein made me want to gouge my ear-drums out with a rusty screwdriver.

Any Soft Machine album after Wyatt left generally makes me want to heave.

Roger Dean artwork has always been enough to put me off buying anything wrapped in it, so he's inadvertantly saved me from ever having to hear Yes or their ilk.

Spooky Tooth/Pierre Henry - Ceremony
May look like an interesting idea on paper, which is what made me buy it. The reality is an abortion.

Pavlov's Dog - Pampered Menial
I never even made it to the end of this. Too horrible for words. Never played it again, but still can't banish the memory of that one incomplete play of it.

Michael Hoenig - Departure from the Northern Wasteland
Everything I'd read about this claimed it was a lost classic of electronic music. It actually turned out to be a hideous monstrosity of New Age synth shite that would have even Jean Michel Jarre running from the room.

Pink Floyd - The Wall
Hideously self-indulgent sprawlingly unfocused miseryfest, complete with cynical punk-bandwagon-jumping anti-school wallet-lining single.

Gong - Shamal
Fucking horrible insipid jazz-infused (yeuch) rock. A waste of time and money for everyone involved in recording, releasing, buying and listening to it.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index