mercury prize

Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

mercury prize
Sep 07, 2004, 11:26
it's announced tonight. i'm backing the streets but hoping robert wyatt gets it, though the album's not his best

Amy Winehouse Frank = marketed shit
Basement Jaxx Kish Kash = brixton shit
Belle & Sebastian Dear Catastrophe Waitress = twee shit
Franz Ferdinand Franz Ferdinand = retro shit
Jamelia Thank You = corporate shit
Joss Stone The Soul Sessions = precocious shit
Keane Hopes and Fears = utter shit
Robert Wyatt Cuckooland
Snow Patrol Final Straw = complete and utter shit
The Streets A Grand Don't Come for Free = genius
Ty Upwards = who? probably shit
The Zutons Who Killed...... The Zutons = shit
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Re: mercury prize
Sep 07, 2004, 11:36
so, do I take it you want The Streets, or Wyatt to win at a push then billy?

Should be Wyatt, great album. The Streets is okay for a couple of listens, but not that exciting.

Give it bobby baby - about time a communist won!
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Sep 07, 2004, 11:39
i was rooting for norma waterson a few years ago. can't remember who won. they never give it to the old guys. the streets album's much better than wyatt's though skinner's yet to make his own rock bottom. give him time though.... he's a genius.
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Sep 07, 2004, 11:40
I'd agree with all your artist summaries (except for Robert Wyatt and The Streets ;-) ) You're quite right about Ty Upwards though, shit-brit-hop at its finest. I remember seeing an article on BBC music that described him as a "veteran MC" - his debut album came out in 2001. Back to the old skool! Illustrates that this stuff has the shelf life of an elderly mayfly. Personally, I'd pick Belle and Sebastian as the least worst option, and believe me there's not a lot of scenarios where I would make that choice!
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Sep 07, 2004, 12:02
....can't say it means much with the choices available (or means anything anyway) - even Wyatt's album is pretty poor compared to his previous work IMO, although if it was split into all the songs from the complete list, then he'd take my vote for the 'Just a Bit' track.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Sep 07, 2004, 12:03
....and maybe Jamelia in close second
CraigR2
5 posts

Sep 07, 2004, 12:31
Hmmm.

The Street - genius? Maybe singing about 'spliffs' and 'quarters' was a novel thing the first time around, but another album of the same? I love the first record but the second is the same thing done the same way. Not genius - far from it.

Please, please let it be The Zutons. Far from shit. In fact it's bloody great so ner.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Sep 07, 2004, 13:06
The Streets is a clever album documenting 'a day in the life of...' blah blah but so is (in a less modern way) Sham 69's 'That's Life'.
CraigR2
5 posts

Sep 07, 2004, 13:10
Agreed. It ain't nothing new!
Cock-a-Doodle
803 posts

Sep 07, 2004, 13:11
Not overtly keen on the Wyatt album, tho its not bad at all. I'd give it to Belle & Sebastian personally.
Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index