Unsung Forum »
Krautrock: Love it or Hate it!

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Birth Control (the band)
Sep 03, 2004, 08:14
The track my frined put on that compilation CD I referred to below was awful - sounded way too much like Mountain for my liking.
zuggog
286 posts

Re: Birth Control and problem drinking
Sep 03, 2004, 08:18
I recently got Birth Control's second [I think] album "operation" I seem to have played it heaps. Were Atomic Rooster and Deep Purple termed "progressive'' I wonder. Operation has some great organ riffs, good bass and drums and is one of those albums that's good to guzzle bourbon with. Definitely a germanrock album, as opposed to the archetype "krautrock" sound. Definitely not a head album,best with alchohol.
Whereas stuff like Neu is good with anything.

Shit, have I got a drink problem.....
zuggog
286 posts

Speak Inglezi?
Sep 03, 2004, 08:52
I,m going broke buying german stuff. However..
Does any, all or much of this music come with vocals sung in the Queens English???
That Dreams fantasies site is a good un on this subject.
Cheers
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Re: Speak Inglezi?
Sep 03, 2004, 09:15
Most of these groups do not sing in English since they were not merely interseted in apeing western rock bands but in creating something of their own.
That shouldn't matter as the Music is a universal language.
Portuguese is a beautiful sounding language, Spanish too.
Would you pass up listening to say, the Stooges, Black Sabbath or whathaveyou if they sang in Kobaian?
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

COB !!.....and similar shrines.....
Sep 03, 2004, 09:38
Yup Cock-a-D., Cob is still in Porthmadog.

I don't think there is any experience which is more enlightening and awe-inspiring, than those early teenage years spent in that glorious alternative church:
the record shop!

.....click on the link below and then click 'history' on the left column!

http://www.cobrecords.com/

Enjoy! ;-D
zuggog
286 posts

Re: Speak Inglezi?
Sep 03, 2004, 09:57
Me mum's got things like Radio Tarifa and such, I find after maybe an hour I want to know what the song is about. My favourite bit of not english vocals[german] is H.G Wells takeoff on Tanz der Lemminge.
Riddley Walker
174 posts

Re: what about Rastakraut Pasta
Sep 03, 2004, 13:35
I've tried to find it without any success, the CD reissue seems to be really hard to get hold of. I once saw a copy on ebay but I didn't win it.
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Re: Krautrock: Love it or Hate it!
Sep 03, 2004, 14:26
Agree on "E2-E4". I'm not sure I'd call it krautrock, but it sounds exactly like techno, only recorded in 1981. Also, expect it to be something to which you turn for background music; it's great for doing housework.
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Re: Krautrock: Love it or Hate it!
Sep 03, 2004, 14:31
Oops, forgot two other comments.

"Samtvogel" hasn't been reissued since the early 80's (on vinyl - never on CD), so good luck finding it. I've seen it go for $100 on eBay.

I haven't heard "Con" yet (is it on CD?), but the reissue of "Blau" has an amazing bonus. I'm still curious if that bonus was really recorded back then, or is a modern creation, as it sounds like modern experimental electronica.
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Re: Krautrock: Love it! Incarock: huh?
Sep 03, 2004, 14:43
Except for the Lula Côrtes e Ze Ramalho album, what other South American music from the time matches up in freakiness to the best German bands? What little I've heard from the major tropicalia names is good, but hardly as out there as, say, Cluster, "Irrlicht", "UFO", Faust, or even Amon Düül II's early work. Do any of the names you've listed go that far?

That said, I'm looking forward to listening to Bubu's album, which I got recently.
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index