Krautrock: Love it or Hate it!

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lugia
970 posts

Re: Krautrock: Love it or Hate it!
Sep 02, 2004, 18:52
Some others of the 'hidden gems' category, I think:

Gunter Schickert: "Samtvogel". The Berlin School approach as applied to multitracked electric guitar and delay lines. Sort of something like Manuel Gottsching's late 70s work's evil twin. Bad-trippy/creepy in places, but super-satisfying all the way thru.

Conrad Schnitzler: hit or miss, in some ways, unless you really like experimental/proto-industrial noise in doses. However, "Con" is awesome...hovers somewhere in a dark Krautish-preindustrial zone.

Asmus Tietchens: actually, the later you go, the more interesting albeit difficult he gets. Late Tietchens is uncompromising electronic/computer work of a edgy 'illbient' vein...his "Drei Teilmenge" on Mille Plateaux is worth a look for more experimental heads, as is the stuff he did on Silent back in the 90s.

Manuel Gottsching: "E2-E4". People tend to play down his late Ashra stuff, etc, but this is historic music...were it not for "E2-E4", techno (the real stuff, ala Detroit, not the clubby crapulescence) might not have emerged. It's a missing link between Kraut and techno, a link that Kraftwerk gets much more credit for but THIS is as critical as that was.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Sep 02, 2004, 18:55
I'll have to look for that Goettsching album -- I quite like those later "Ashra" albums, and agree with you totally about "Seven Up" too!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Birth Control (the band)
Sep 02, 2004, 18:56
Yeah, from what I've heard they're mostly basic 70's prog-esque boogie crud. They have some cool album covers though (don't let that fool ya!)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: K-H S
Sep 02, 2004, 19:31
"Florian and Ralf admitted that they started screwing around with the ideas that eventually emerged as Organization after attending a Stockhausen concert on a big load of acid."

So that makes them students of his . . . in a way . . .

;-)
Hatondrunk
157 posts

Sep 02, 2004, 20:04
November 1995, I walked into a 3 floor record shop (Virgin?) in London (first time and so far my only visit to UK) and found a little book about Krautrock and literately read it from there, down the stairs, down the tube, walking behind my fellow student friends back to the hotel. And was lost forever. Blown away. Forever changed.
We were on a Shakespeare / Chris Marlowe / Ben Jonson-study tour with the university, but my mind was elsewhere (and Munich!).
It wasn´t my first encounter with Krautrock, (Can, Tangerine Dream, Faust) but still this book was absolutely fucking amazing. All this anarchy and truly inventional shit happening, and of course, served by the right mind. And this is my point: COPE SERVES KRAUTROCKISM!!!, that is, he made it, man! I felt much better reading about the albums than listening to most of them. I think reading COPE was like taking the whole GMBH thing and run it through a huge psychic FX board with hysterical compression, an encompassing echo/delay, filters, filters, wit, wah, clever observations and so on. Krautrocksampler is forever one of the three most important books I ever read. And the one I read most times.
I used to look at that GOLOWIN album and feel the sacred aura. Planned to go and find him in 1997. Never went.
Played in a band since ´92, mostly long jams and here suddenly was the textbook for our music. That book made me howling at the moon. For all it´s insanity.
It was a huge trip, going on for about two or three years, before fading out as I actually got hold of most of the stuff. Gotta stop, I´m at work. THANK YOU COPE!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 02, 2004, 22:39
Luckly didn't get that Jane album at House Of Guitars way back when. Looked like it was gonna be bad hippy prog just by the unimaginative generic packaging...
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Sep 03, 2004, 06:22
you're absolutely right LL.
I love Faust for some personal, subjective reasons that may have as much or more to do with my experiences/personality as with the quality of Faust's music.
And when I listen to Can, I love Can and I'm not thinking "Faust is more ______"
My apologies for the insensitive remark!
They're really very different groups, of course, and so comparing them even within the krautrock framework is almost arbitrary. We can't really say what music is "better", but we can say which we find more enjoyable or interesting.
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Re: tee hee
Sep 03, 2004, 06:26
very well put Dog. I'm sympathetic.
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Re: Krautrock: Love it! Incarock: huh?
Sep 03, 2004, 06:57
Obviously folks here are at least familiar with many German psych/krautrock groups of the late 60s-early 70s and that's good.
But how many have explored the equally lysergic & fruitful scenes of South American late 60s- early 70s psych/prog? Brasil, Argentina, Peru, Venezuela - they produced tons of amazing, heady rock music that should be as well known here as this "first rank" of krautrock groups.
Anyone who loves early Can should hear the first Billy Bond y La Pesada LP from Argentina.
Anyone who loves acid-drenched Hendrixoid guitar wedded to a funky beat should hear Almendra, Pescado Rabioso, La Cofradia de la Flor Solar, Modulo 1000, Gal Costa '69, Gilberto Gil '69, Caetano Veloso '69, the first Invisible lp, Tobruk, Tarkus, Lula Cortes & Ze Rahmalo, Piel de Pueblo, Kubero Diaz y La Pesada, Claudio Gabis y La Pesada, Jorge Pinchevsky y La Pesada, etc.
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Sep 03, 2004, 07:25
Sorry if this one already got it's plug here, but I didn't notice anyone mentioning Embryo.....

Embryo - Rock Session LP on Brain, 1973

it's really pretty cool stuff

I haven't heard any of their other stuff though, any good?
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index