Unsung Forum »
Krautrock: Love it or Hate it!

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Cock-a-Doodle
803 posts

Re: Krautrock: Love it or Hate it!
Sep 02, 2004, 11:50
Nah, Faust Tapes was released after So Far!
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Sep 02, 2004, 11:55
sez who?
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Sep 02, 2004, 12:00
nevermind...Cock-a-Doodle crows correct and I am humbled:
Faust So Far '72
Faust Tapes '73
according to their own website....
still, it's one of those "funhouse vs. raw power" things: So Far or IV?
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Sep 02, 2004, 12:02
I came across Can through the Cannibalism 1 compilation when I was necking acid like sweeties and raving at the end of the eighties/early nineties, and used it as a post rave comedown album for years, and managed to convert plenty of other people to them that way too. Discovered Cluster and early Tangerene Dream after that, coz The Orb were namechecking them. Then went off to find other stuff for myself, like Faust, Amon Duul II etc, until Cope's Krautrocksampler came out, which made for a useful guide, though I disagree with several of his choices/ommissions. Sand and Brainticket should be in there for a start. The Cosmic Jokers and Ash Ra Tempel albums are the last truly mindblowingly stunning Krautrock I've come across. Everything I've come across since is just less inspired than all the other stuff I'd discovered earlier. And some of it really stinks of jazz-fusion. Yeuch. Steer clear of Wallenstein! >shudder<. Top of the heap for me are Can though. The most inventive and truly out there of these bands. And to go from the sandpaper abrasiveness of Monster Movie, through the monumental headfuck of Tago Mago to the swoonsome lushness of Future Days is no mean feat. Much as I love them Faust sound like a cabaret act in comparison.

Anyway, in conclusion, like any type of music there are good examples, less good examples, and downright stinkers. And there are always going to be people who just hate the whole lot too!
Cock-a-Doodle
803 posts

Sep 02, 2004, 12:03
Don't like to say i told you so : ) Smug bastard, aren't i ? : )
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Sep 02, 2004, 12:04
sorta like a german Steppenwolf with a heavily dosed hippie chick on vocals....fuzz guitars, long jams, loud repetitive organ...
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Sep 02, 2004, 12:06
'Those who prefer Can, Neu & Amon Duul II seem to me to be "not getting the joke" or something'

That's a bit of a superior attitude, young man! Heheh.
I love Faust, but just think Can are the most timeless, influential and unique band in Krautrock, and they're the first Krautrock band I really connected with, so it's my personal taste. Nothing to do with not 'getting' Faust, coz I like them too, but just think Can were the greater talent.
Riddley Walker
174 posts

Sep 02, 2004, 12:21
Have to agree about the cards, the pictures just seem to rip off the Rider-Waite deck, the drawing is not good and the colours are too garish.

As for the narration...a concept album about the Tarot ...Mystical twaddle is what I was expecting really. I enjoy hearing a bit of heartfelt twaddle from time to time!
silogut
silogut
432 posts

what about Rastakraut Pasta
Sep 02, 2004, 12:23
anyone ever heard it? I see Jc lists this in his top 50 and would love to hear it
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Sep 02, 2004, 12:35
...and clattering musique concrete noises dropping into the mix and flying around the room like Wars of Armageddon from Maggot Brain. There are two overlooked tracks at the beginning of the album too, which though much more conventional are pretty good, I reckon.
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index