ANYTHING ON OHR
Sep 02, 2004, 00:41
OHR was the coolest label
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Krautrock: Love it or Hate it!
Sep 02, 2004, 04:49
I have to agree with you that Faust was (is?) the best of the bunch. There's something about them that's just more dense and witty and . . . I dunno what, versus the other German groups of the 70's. It's hard to put into words. The true rocknroll heirs to Stockhausen!

Kraftwerk seems the most "mainstream popular" but I don't think anyone can deny their importance. The fact they got so popular is a pretty amazing accomplishment by itself!
silogut
silogut
432 posts

Sep 02, 2004, 08:16
I got seriously into Krautrock 7 yrs ago after the purchase of Julian Copes rather fine ode to the genre ' Krautrock sampler' I already had a few Can cds so I kinda new what to expect. I think the greatest of this scene is the whole NEU!/Harmonia/La duseldorf family. Sorry all you can/faust whatever fans you just can't beat NEU 1975!!!! I have been buying a few Amon Duul 2 releases lately: Yeti, Carnival + Wolf City which are mighty but I am unsure about this Amon Duul 1 lp called psychodelic underground'. If pot adled bongo mania is your trip check it out!! The one absolute turkey I have bought on the rec. of Krautrock sampler is Ash Ra Temple 'Amboss/1st lp'... this stuff kind of defines the nadir of the genre to me. Just 2 tracks of whoosh noise and endless inept soloing. After listening to this the need for punk rock makes absolute sense.
Anyway enough of the negativity, can anyone tell me what brainticket sound like?
Rock Wagram
Rock Wagram
316 posts

Sep 02, 2004, 09:05
Got a real soft spot for Yathra Sidhra "a meditation mass" LP and Golem by Sand, as well as all the other obvious stuff...proably less keen on the sweeping synth stuff, but then again they certainly can be ecstatically good at the right moments, meditation, sundays, hangovers...Guess Neu, Can, Faust are still the big 3 for me though..........
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Sep 02, 2004, 09:56
The joys of having an older brother who was 17 in 1970 while I was 10, led to some healthy exposure to much of the 'underground' musics. The first Krautrock I heard was.....
Can - Monster Movie - YEAH!
A post-punk sound - 10 years early.
(Once John Lydon mentioned he loved Can in 1977, the N.M.E. etc. suddenly adopted Can / Krautrock as the hip names to drop)

Then loads of other stuff.....

Faust - Everything up until 'Faust Tapes' - which I bought myself for 49 pence (I think!) at the time....

Tangerine Dream - All their material up until 'Ricochet', too many to mention....

All those marvellous albums with fantastic 'hook you in' sleeves that I discovered in Electrip Records in Rhyl(Stockhausen albums on sale next to amusement arcades and candy floss stalls!), Cob Records in Porthmadog and Impact Records in Chester, these shops stocked quite a bit of the Ohr Label too.....oh sweet bird of youth....where have you flown ?

:-I
Rock Wagram
Rock Wagram
316 posts

Sep 02, 2004, 10:11
"may the bird of paradise fly up your nose" , as the song went...
Cock-a-Doodle
803 posts

Sep 02, 2004, 10:33
Cob in Porthmadoc (sp?) was a fave of mine. My dad and i would do the 3 hour trip from Merseyside JUST to go to Cob. Is it still there? Haven't been for a few years now. The shop in Bangor was also great and always worth a visit, especially as i hollidayed in Anglesey for years and i would always go there to spend my hard-saved pennies.

Ahhh, happy days!
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Sep 02, 2004, 11:27
You're better off not understanding the lyrics to Tarot. I don't really like it (and I've tried) apart from the long Ash Ra Tempel jam near the end, partly because the lyrics are such godawful hippy twaddle. If they were in English you'd be cringeing all the way through it, believe me. And the Tarot cards Wegmuller designed are horrible too.
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Sep 02, 2004, 11:48
"everything up until Faust Tapes"
well, that's only their first album!
- faust tapes was released btwn 1 & 2 (So Far)
....there was alot of incredible music on So Far, Faust IV, and the 2+ lps of the early lineup's outtakes & other stuff by Recomended on "Legend" & "Munich & Elsewhere" and the 2 7"s later compiled on "The Last LP"/"71 minutes of Faust" cd. That 1st Faust lp was good, but not nearly as impressive as nearly everything ELSE that they did after it!!
Those who prefer Can, Neu & Amon Duul II seem to me to be "not getting the joke" or something. Like how some people prefer widescreen to letterbox...
ballerman
5 posts

Sep 02, 2004, 11:49
For those who like Krautrock, Brain did a rather good sampler in the early 80's of their acts. this has got tracks by Neu, Cluster etc and if you can find a copy is a good cross section of this type of music

Ballerman
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index