107 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Light a candle
Jul 10, 2004, 20:50
Agree completely.

ELP is "unfashionable" but they undeniably had "style." If their style revulses you, fine. Everyone is entitled to their own tastes & opinions.

Personally I think "Another Green World" is pretty boring. Not even boring enough for me to hate it or have a strong opinion on it.

But so what? I thought the whole point of a "forum" was to have a dialogue, and preferably something a bit deeper than "this rules" vs. "that's shit." Blanket-praise and blanket-criticism aren't very informative, and I think the more contradictory a record makes me feel the more interesting it is.

For example, Sly Stone's "There's A Riot Goin On" is one of my favorite records of all time. It's sheer genius. But when I listen to it, it bums me out. It puts me in a very reflective, melancholy mood.

On the other hand "Trilogy" is nowhere close to "genius" and on some level I know it's outright "bad" -- yet when I put it on (which I do pretty frequently!) it makes me feel good. I bray along with Greg Lake's lyrics, band my head to Carl's monsterous progbeats, and enjoy the sheer whiz-bangery of all the sounds Emerson produces with his electronics.

So some "good" records can make you feel bad, and "bad" records can make you feel good. I often find that those records are the most "interesting."
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index