Unsung Forum »
To Live And Shave In LA/AndrewWK

7 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
greenfield
1 posts

Re: To Live And Shave In LA/AndrewWK
Jun 26, 2004, 03:54
Disagree with Lawrence re TLASILA - they resemble no-one and have very few peers. I'm no blind fan - they've released a few duff recordings, but have also created several astounding albums, two of which were name-checked by Wilkes-Krier. They are light years beyond Pengo and Hair Police, and this should not be mistaken as a slag on those groups, who are very satisfying. No, To Live and Shave in LA are, quite simply, infinitely better, the best of all the American groups who have been tarred with the "noise" brush. Like their Miami contemporaries Harry Pussy, they may appear to be "noise-rock," but they are undoubtedly, resolutely other. With Shave, punk, glam, electronica, dub, musique concrete, aletory compositional techniques, garage-rock, free jazz, and wild, weird, out-there-ness collide, combine, and explode. The Boredoms are perhaps the closest analogue, though Eye's cabal are arguably more consistent. Shave can be spotty, but when they are on-target, the planet dissolves, and madness rules. No joke, none at all. Severe and inexpressible, they have made one hell of an impact. The new line-up may prove to be the best ever - I wish they were coming to England! They toured here in the late 90s (on two separate ocassions), and I missed them both times. Handsome? Smith is one ugly fucker, but like many ladies' men, this impediment seems to work in his favor. His recent Dusted piece was a great read.

Unsung Forum Index