Unsung Forum »
Songs to blub to

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zuggog
286 posts

Songs to blub to
May 29, 2004, 10:08
After a good night out and the copulsory musicfest at home-can,dom, gila,haze, golden earring -
can you play this ? asked the g/f and hummed [can you slur a hum] a slightly imperfect version of one of her faves.
Midnite Cowboy it was, by faith no more. Damn near made me blub!!! So then played Atlantis by Donovan, another sad one. Today couldn't help but think [or try to] that those are the only two songs I have that are truly sad little mothers..........
joudicaa
joudicaa
325 posts

Re: Songs to blub to
May 29, 2004, 18:44
what a beautiful world always makes me fill up as does oh its such a perfect day...
Brother Johnno
Brother Johnno
428 posts

May 29, 2004, 18:58
...most of ND's 'Five Leaves Left' lifts my heart to dewy eyed moments. The strings alone are just all too beautiful...
BJx
Moon Cat
9577 posts

May 30, 2004, 01:40
"There is a Light That Never Goes Out" by the Smiths is guaranteed to get the hankies out in the Cat Pod.

Also, "Summer Breeze" by the Isley Brothers. Tears not through sadness, but pure, utter, heart quaking, vein bubbling- joy. Tears indeed! Cos I luvs it so!
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

May 30, 2004, 05:30
by association, leonard cohens suzanne. first time i heard it it was on the bbc's rock and roll years for 1968 against a backdrop of the famine in biafra. pot bellied children with haunted eyes overlaid with "they are leaning out for love, and they will lean that way forever"
Metalpub
130 posts

May 30, 2004, 11:04
"Living Without You" by Randy Newman from his first album just makes my heart ache with self pity. Especially the way he sounds like he might burst out crying. I also think that song from Skip Spence's Oar that goes "Weighted down by possessions..." can't remember title, makes me wanna weep, especially the line "If you can't find your woman, don't take another's wife".
Lawrence
9547 posts

May 30, 2004, 15:15
That song was a favorite of my mother's(!) Except she mainly liked the Neil Diamond version.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2607 posts

May 30, 2004, 18:04
Nothing cheers me up like a truly sad song. Hammill's 'This Side Of The Looking Glass', Al Stewart's 'Ballad Of Mary Foster' and Dylan's 'If You See Her, Say Hello' come immediately to mind.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

May 30, 2004, 18:22
All of the songs Lou Barlow wrote on Sebadoh's "Bubble & Scrape" LP are immensely sad.

He had just broken up with (what I think might have been his first ever serious) girlfriend (and he's got a reputation as emotionally unstable in the first place), so he's whining and ranting and tearfully wanking himself to sleep all alone, no holds barred going through all the stages of pain & grief & separation. Remarkable spleen-venting songwriting.
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

May 30, 2004, 19:14
Roads by Portishead, never really worked out what it is about, but Beth Gibbon's performance always puts a lump in my throat, heartfelt stuff and beautiful
BD
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index