106 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives 28/3/04
Mar 29, 2004, 00:16
This week's vibes:

Caravan 'Where But For Caravan Would I?' - I bought this for my good lady Margaret last year in an effort to bring her round to the glories of the Canterbury Scene. I'm glad to say that the plan worked. Today we enjoyed this magnificent Verve/Decca/Deram era retrospective like never before. Prog with pop sensitivity - tunes and solos - what could be more alluring? Simply the best ever band that those who only dig so-called "cool" bands have missed out on;

Bob Dylan 'More Greatest Hits' - continuing the cool compilation trend, here's a belter from '71 and really delivers. I proudly own all the official Dylan albums but I'd quite happily settle with this, the first 'Greatest Hits' and 'Blood On the Tracks' if the government imposed an album limit on me;

Kevin Coyne 'Marjory Razorblade' - totally without parallel is this debut solo from Derby's finest: what happens when you mix Dylan, jugband blues, Al Jolson and the wildest imagination this side of Zappa. Amazing stuff, and still fresh after 31 years;

The White Stripes 'Elephant' - still can't see what the fuss is about here;

Ride 'Nowhere' - awesome and tedious by turns is this terminally patchy debut, but with an epic like 'Dreams Burn Down' what else do you need? I swear that's John Bonham drumming on there;

Deep Purple 'Deep Purple' - I've had an Unsung review for this forgotten third album on the back burner for a while now. Suffice to say this is a remarkably diverse collection capturing the band just before they went real heavy. And while it may lack the visceral excitement of 'In Rock', it has undeniable charms, not least the tribal perfection that is 'Chasing Shadows';

Egg 'The Civil Surface' - a forgotten Canterbury gem. Whatever became of Mont Campbell?;

Rush 'Rush' - hey Dog, thanks for the prompter. I'd forgotten how good this album is in its wish-we-were-Zeppelin sorta way. Rocks like fuck;

Ten Years After 'Positive Vibrations' - beltin' final album from '74 before they split for the first time;

Ten Years After 'About Time' - good comeback album from '89, though I reckon Alvin should've rationed himself on those ZZ albums in the meantime;

Miles Davis 'Porgy & Bess' - prime Gil-era stuff sounding fresh as a daisy in its latest remastering. Gershwin without the crap;

Schubert 'Winterreise' - Fischer-Dieskau rocks!

That's about it. Enjoy the start of Spring, dudes.

x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index