Unsung Forum »
JOHN LYDON on 'I'm a celeb......'

Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Riddley Walker
174 posts

Re: JOHN LYDON on 'I'm a celeb......'
Jan 27, 2004, 21:14
Maybe dignity is the wrong word. I realise he doesn't care what anyone thinks of him (including his fans) but...

Why the hell is he doing it? Can anyone honestly say this is a wise move? By doing the show hes living up to his popular stereotype thats existed ever since the Bill Grundy incident- lets face it most people only know him vaguely from the Sex Pistols and a few so-called "notorious" TV appearances. "Lets get that old punk in he'll stir things up a bit" hes becoming a charicature of himself!

I still stand by what I said, these kind of programmes soil everyone involved in them, its like rolling around in cultural dog shit for a few quid. And the fact that the usual types to participate are talentless bimbos who or has-beens hoping to claw their way back from oblivion only makes matters worse.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jan 27, 2004, 21:38
Oh... I could imagine Wakeman saying such a thing though. After all those prog-rock types are so egotistical when it comes to their musical ability that they probably saw punk as music played by 'mentally-challenged' folks.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Actually...
Jan 27, 2004, 22:57
Actually I can recall Rick Wakemen being interviewed on some TV thing about prog rock saying that he thought that punk was ultimately good for prog; cos it had got so far up it's own arse that it needed deflating, so he was probably a little more sympathetic than you would imagine.

I can't believe there still has to be this either/or thing with punk and prog with some people. I like some of both, and also think a lot of both is utter shite on the rocks. One thing that used to really piss me off with punk and it's more bolshy devotees is that in order to be a 'proper' punk, you could only listen to music that other punks defined as punk - anything else was 'selling out'. Well, soz but that's as blinkered and elitist as any other scene mentallity and belongs in the garbage can as far as I'm concerned.
keith a
9570 posts

Jan 27, 2004, 23:50
You may well be right, but hey, watching Johnny Rotten getting repeatedly pecked by a load of albratosses is exactly what I pay my licence for ; )
keith a
9570 posts

Jan 27, 2004, 23:53
but none of that explains why people on this list would want to listen to Kiss...
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: ooOOOooo
Jan 28, 2004, 00:00
get her...etc ;^)
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jan 28, 2004, 01:24
I think Mark Perry was trying to prove that point by being on his first album surrounded by his Mothers Of Invention records. And also Mark E. Smith would go onstage wearing unfashionable bell-bottoms.
keith a
9570 posts

Jan 28, 2004, 09:47
well old mark e mark is a bit of a one-off all round!
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Jan 28, 2004, 09:54
I find find this either Punk or Prog attitude after all these years most bizzare as well. I can understand such an attitude during the time of Punk as it was a reaction to what had gone before. But years later it is a bit of a bell ends attitude. In fact I feel cheated a bit by what a closed mentality did to my own listening tastes as I grew up. It took me years to get over the year zero attitude.

Another example is during the 90s I was talking to some Mod throw back and he was going on about how he hated Rockers. Well you could have understood such attitudes during the 60s, when any new movement has a either for or against attitude.

Music is a multi-woven tapestry type thing and it is a bit sad when only one thread is used to define peoples tastes.
keith a
9570 posts

Jan 28, 2004, 10:04
christ, you're talking to the converted here.

i like allsorts - I've even had people serving me in record shops telling me what a bizarre selection of records I buy, but i thank god that punk happened when it did and i realised how shit a lot of the music was that was being foisted on people my age from our elders.

and the fact that my fave living singer (JC of course) has decided that he likes the music from his pre-punk youth again and has formed what is little more than a cabaret metal band (albeit one who've made 4-5 great tracks) won't alter the fact i think that most metal / prog is shite.

You can only like what you like, and it's Stooges - good, Kiss - bad for me in the same way as it's Pistols - great, Sham 69 piss-poor.
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index