Unrecognizable Cover Versions

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Bess Keloid
Bess Keloid
348 posts

Re: Unrecognizable Cover Versions
Jan 24, 2004, 22:36
>I never even liked the original version!
>That was when the Cure pretty much blew
>their wad artistically and became dopey
>party-rock 'goth'. And the Dinosaur Jr.
>version just turned it into dopey slacker-
>rock.

Ace chopped-off ending, tho'.
Bess Keloid
Bess Keloid
348 posts

Konked Out Kovers
Jan 24, 2004, 22:43
On Harry Pussy's first LP, they took K/werk's 'Showroom Dummies' & smashed its head repeatedly against a concrete beam.

Walkingseeds did a great 'is this the right speed?' take on 'Iron Man' on their 'Skullfuck' LP.

Ritual Tension's version of 'Hotel California' from c. 1987 is a real Swansian bassheavy trudge.
Bess Keloid
Bess Keloid
348 posts

Re: Giant Sand
Jan 24, 2004, 22:50
I remember liking their version of 'Is That All There Is?', altho' not as much as Cristina's version on Ze Records.
Bess Keloid
Bess Keloid
348 posts

Jan 24, 2004, 22:59
Y'know, I'd love to hear a brass/marching band do versions of Ruins & Lightning Bolt songs.
Bess Keloid
Bess Keloid
348 posts

Jan 24, 2004, 23:01
>Lady Godiva's Operation- Fatima Mansions

The way the word "sweetly" crashes in is brilliant.
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Re: Shockabilly
Jan 24, 2004, 23:08
Saw Eugene play a few years ago at this small art gallery in Kentucky..went with a friend,who is a huge fan, and though it was a long drive we ended up getting there early..while we were setting up chairs for the show,Eugene was getting out his guitar and toys and yanking out various pieces of sheet music from a pile..He serenaded us with Chadbourned renditions of songs from the Sound of Music soundtrack ..great fun
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jan 25, 2004, 19:00
You mean the song?
Bess Keloid
Bess Keloid
348 posts

Jan 25, 2004, 19:00
I mean on the Mascis version.
James Aswell
21 posts

Jan 26, 2004, 00:29
Ever heard Snuff's rendition of The Likely Lads' theme tune? Joyful punk thrash doesn't even begin to cover it... First time I heard Ziggy Stardust it was Bauhaus, not Bowie & I maintain it is chock-full of sparkly glam tumescent guitar, unlike the original which is just phoning it in, not that I don't love the TWDuke to bits...
Lugia
970 posts

Mike Flowers & Pops
Jan 26, 2004, 00:42
By accident one time, I ran across the work of the above-mentioned group. Imagine those great 90s hits by the likes of Oasis, Blur, et al as redone by a hip 60s lounge combo. Imagine a video to "Wonderwall" that bears a distinct resemblance to every cheezeball "psych-o-delic" corporate promo film from 1969-ish. Imagine my head exploding from the gleeful-yet-horrified reaction...
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index