Unsung Forum »
Unrecognizable Cover Versions

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9565 posts

Re: Unrecognizable Cover Versions
Dec 21, 2003, 21:33
>Anybody remember Derpartment S's version of >Solid Gold Easy Action?

yeah, b-side of is vic there! desc in one review as a 'knockabout' version, which sort of summed it up.

surprised no-one's mentioned killdozer yet - the sound of stormtroopers trampling over burning love, american pie, etc.

excellent stuff!!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: The Beat Goes On
Dec 21, 2003, 21:39
I think you'd only enjoy the album on drugs!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Killdozer!
Dec 21, 2003, 21:51
Killdozer may be the greatest cover band ever. Because when they play a cover, no matter what it is, it comes out sounding exactly like a Killdozer song. Which is to say "extremely loud hillbilly sludge rock."

One of these days I'm gonna review "For Ladies Only" at Unsung (unless someone else does it first!) That's their LP with covers of Bad Co, James Gang, Conway Twitty, Elvis, Steve Miller Band, and (gack! yes even) "American Pie."

Also worth tracking down is a b-side from c. 1994 where they covered "Unbelievable" by EMF!

BTW -- a friend of mine is next door neighbors with Dan Hobson, the drummer. I see him down at the pub every now and then.
Dwight Fried
543 posts

Dec 21, 2003, 21:52
The Cardigans did loungey versions of Sabbath's 'Iron Man' and 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath'.
Siouxsie's version of 'Helter Skelter' takes a few liberties!
Sixteen Horsepower do a spooky, minor-key version of CCR's 'Bad Moon Rising'.....
Dwight Fried
543 posts

Re: Bauhaus 'Telegram Sam'
Dec 21, 2003, 21:54
Always thought Pete Murphy was a dead ringer for Elton John on the choruses! Nifty little disco breakdown at the end as well....
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Dec 21, 2003, 22:03
Minutemen's version of "Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love" (Van Halen) always cracks me up . . .

The first time I heard Husker Du's version of "Eight Miles High" I couldn't even tell what song it was! They also did a nice version of "Love Is All Around" aka "Theme From the Mary Tyler Moore Show" (which was set in Mpls so it's kind of like that city's "national anthem".)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

On a roll now . . .
Dec 21, 2003, 22:05
And don't forget Camper Van Beethoven's gypsy fiddle folk versions of "Wasted" (Black Flag) and "I Love Her All The Time" (Sonic Youth) . . .
keith a
9565 posts

Re: Killdozer!
Dec 21, 2003, 22:43
>Killdozer may be the greatest cover band ever.

For Ladies Only is great. Haven't heard it in ages and had forgotten about Good Lovin' Gone Bad!

Talking of cover versions i recently got Dugga Dugga Dugga, the compilation of 14 different acts - inc Malka Spigel (Mrs Colin Newman!) and Wire tribute act Ex-Lion Tamers doing "interpretations" of Wire's Drill.

Not for the casual fan admitedly ; )

BTW Anyone know who did a grungy version of Gimme Shelter circa '89-90? heard it on Peel and loved it...
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Re: Killdozer!
Dec 21, 2003, 22:48
Don't know of any grunge covers of Gimme Shelter. Two covers I do know of is The Inspiral Carpets version (high tempo garage speed pop) & The Sisters of Mercy version (slow Goth rock).
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Dec 22, 2003, 09:03
I think is was on the NME's Ruby Tracks 40th anniversary triple LP of cover versions that the Fatima Mansions covered Bryan Adams 'Everything I do I do it for You' somewhat unrecognisably...
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index