Worst albums by best bands

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

>quandry<
Nov 26, 2003, 15:20
To speak up in favour of 'Tonight', or not.

note to self: Don't even think of mentioning Tin Machine.
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

Re: more late 80's flops from undergroun
Nov 26, 2003, 17:21
Not sure what you're getting at here, Curt Kirkwood is one of THE great guitarists in my book.
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

outtakes
Nov 26, 2003, 17:28
Well I don't wanna be spoiling any legends. It kinda gets into a grey area as to what you mean by outtakes. If a song is first attempted at one sesssion, left behind, and then resuscitated at a later session, is that an outtake? I don't really know.

"Loving Cup" had certainly been around since '69 -- they even played it at Hyde Park. I have earlier versions of "Shine a Light" (titled "Get a Line On You") and "All Down the Line". But that doesn't mean the versions on EXILE weren't breathed into life at Nellcote. Make sense?

The Stones are not always the best judge of their material (though not as bad as Dylan). "Waiting on a Friend", which I consider a gem, was recorded as far back as GOAT'S HEAD SOUP, so it took them 8 years to figure out it was worth releasing. "Start Me Up" was all but forgotten before found on a tape of EMOTIONAL RESCUE outtakes!
Metalpub
130 posts

Re: >quandry<
Nov 26, 2003, 17:40
I used to really like "loving the alien" from Tonight. Heard it again recently, and was horrified to notice that the bit before the chorus instantly reminds me of the intro to the theme tune of Red Dwarf.
Glam Descendant
1539 posts

db
Nov 26, 2003, 19:14
I haven't heard a recording but I've read he's doing a great version of "Loving The Alien" on his current tour.

It was lazy but I have fond memories of TONIGHT (moreso than NEVER LET ME DOWN -- one of the most ironic titles ever).

I see Tin Machine as the necessary conduit to help him emerge from his 80s quagmire; it worked in my opinion.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: more late 80's flops from undergroun
Nov 26, 2003, 21:28
Well I heard him play, and I'm not convinced. I'm not saying he's a bad musician anyways, it just doesn't fry my bacon.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: db
Nov 26, 2003, 21:41
<sssshhhh>I really love a large chunk of the first TM album - and, I like tonight with TT</sssshhhh>
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Nov 26, 2003, 22:46
I quite like the first TM album (never heard the 2nd one). My main quibble with it was that it wasn't as raucous and heavy as the build up to the project inferred it would be. Heard a lot worse though. From Bowie too.
Neilneil
23 posts

Re: outtakes
Nov 27, 2003, 13:29
I always think of an out-take as being a song that
was recorded at sessions for one album and not
used but then later on it was suitable to be used
for a different project later on in time being used as it was originally recorded. The reason for songs not being used at the time can be many fold .
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Nov 27, 2003, 13:54
The second one (which actually got decent reviews) was overproduced kacka. Reminds me of his last but one (the name of which escapes me) which was also critically acclaimed despite being his lamest in soem time.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index