Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: Macho music
Sep 16, 2003, 13:34
Okay, okay!
I give in!
It's not at all anti-gay to go on about faggots and battymen, it's meant ironically. Silly me for getting offended by it.
I wasn't singling out one line of Ice Cube's either. I hardly need to. There's enough crap spouted by others. Eminem's got a lot to answer for for example, and I don't buy the line it's not really about gays anyway, but about prison sex. Give me a break.
Besides, the idea that being gay or having gay sex makes you 'less of a man' is, as you know, total bullshit and needs to be challenged too. It's a nasty stereotype coming from people who really should know better than to sterotype another minority. I'd have liked to see any of these ruffneck rappers dare tell someone like Ronnie Kray to his face that he's not a real man!
I understand what you're saying, but you're still using the 'it's a different culture' argument to excuse anti-gay hatred, I'm afraid. However strong your liberal credentials and sympathies you don't and won't ever feel the strange, horrible gut-wrenching feeling of anger, intimidation and powerlessness that I feel when someone yet again is attacking something central to my very identity. No doubt it's people explaining it in these terms that makes people like Ice-T change their minds because he KNOWS that feeling. It runs a hell of a lot deeper than liberal artistic license.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index