August Album of the Month

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Re: Albums of the Month Blues
Aug 04, 2003, 13:34
Makes sense to me.

Definitely. Julian's AOTMs are namechecked everywhere from Aquarius records to Forced Exposure... dudes out there who ain't got nothing to do with HH are tuning in!

I’ve been here long enough to see the AOTMs slagged off for being (in this order):
Too much Krautrock – too old – too Japanese; when people realized there were new bands predominantly, then they accused them of it being too ‘radical’. Lazy careless bollocks, really.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Aug 04, 2003, 15:06
Goodness me. Having just walked into the middle of this little scrap, I'm glad I don't have internet access at the weekends.

My understanding of Unsung (and the reason I was so pleased to stumble across it) is that it's here to highlight music that's either literally unknown, or often more interestingly, has become rigidly defined as one thing only - and so the reviewer has to try and change minds/perspectives.

I haven't read it yet, but JC's piece on VH sounds like a prime example of the latter. Such reviews should always be applauded, even if you don't agree with the conclusions.

Debate is fine as long as it doesn't turn into personal attacks - this is literally the only message board I contribute to, so I'm not sure how common this level of 'yah boo sucks' is (OK, I'm kidding myself - it's probably the norm), but while on one hand it's kind of amusing (in the way spectating a drunken brawl can be), it's also just a bit sad. There's no other place I can find that talks about this kind of stuff, in this kind of way... but why this kind of empty grandstanding goes on, I don't know.

Final point - leave the Priest out of this! I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that Sin After Sin is one of THE great rock (let alone 'metal') albums ever made. Errr, anybody.....?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Aug 04, 2003, 15:09
nah, forget the Priest! Rush are the best!

oh oh, look out *ducks for cover*
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Um ...
Aug 04, 2003, 16:09
I was a wandering sheep,

I did not love the fold,

I would not hear my sheperd's voice,

I would not be controlled.

;o)

nEVER MIND M8 THERE ARE WORSE TINGS GOING ON IN THE WORLD E'H?!
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Nats Album of the Month is........
Aug 04, 2003, 16:14
Abba Gold - a fantastic compilation of classic hits for the best band to ever come out of Sweden. From Volez Vous all the way to Thank you for the Music this album is a complete and utter gem and well worth the £9.99 purchase price from your local record emporium....

..... there now tell me to fuck off, or something equally horrid.... Julian was in a friggin happy old mood on Saturday Night and was lovely. Bet he's well upset with all this cheeky banter.... sigh.... it's all down to PERSONAL TASTE!

Holy you do a fantastic job and me for one think you are lovely and brilliant at what you do! Don't let the buggers get you down hunny... I for one will by purchasing you a beverage at Hammersmith!! ;o)

Right all together now... 'thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy we're bringing...'

Sigh... Abba Rock...
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Re: Nats Album of the Month is........
Aug 04, 2003, 16:19
There's a surprise - wasn't that album of the month last month too? :)
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Aug 04, 2003, 16:21
Oh Abba Gold will be Album of the Month EVERY month... it's just such a classic!! :o)

sigh.... oh to meet Agnetha... sigh... perfection in Spandex...
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Aug 04, 2003, 16:30
I had a disturbing dream about ABBA a few years back where they were performing a song (kind of a morphing hybrid of all their hits simultaneously) on some grainy 70s TV programme and Benny appeared really out of it, sweating bullets at the piano with his eyes rolling back in his head. He then fumbled about in the pockets of his lurex jumpsuit, pulling out and dropping a golden virginia tin which spilled open emptying his stash all over the stage. The camera then zoomed in on his face as he puked into his hands, and stayed there as he carried on happily lip synching with a beard full of diced carrots.

But try finding that in a "dream dictionary" - some nights I'm scared to go to sleep! Still love their music though, diced carrots notwithstanding.
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

They!
Aug 04, 2003, 16:34
What a dream , now I'm having nightmares about your nightmares. Morfe hybrids notwithstanding.

I once had a dream about PJ Harvey, but grrr I woke up.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Aug 04, 2003, 16:34
erm, Nat - are you addressing me there? Why on earth would I tell you to f*ck off?? I haven't been cussin n swearing about all this, I've been trying to get people to stay freindly. I love this place.

Plus I'm rather keen on Abba, and have even sung Abba songs live before.
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index