(Oooh) You are the little dreamer
(Oooh) Little dreamer, oh yeah, oh
(Oooh) Little dreamer
(Oooh) Little dreamer
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Whoah!
Aug 04, 2003, 00:23
That is you on the inner sleeve of Women & Children First isnt it?
242 posts

Re: August Album of the Month
Aug 04, 2003, 00:28
listening to people with strong opinions exchanging their views can be quite entertaining, but this has got way out of hand. People refusing to back down, trying to find fault with the other and being really abusive to each other? And for what? Well I think its a bit silly really and don't wish for anyone to leave the forum
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Wizard's inner Sleeve
Aug 04, 2003, 00:39
Bah, caught out winging it. I got the lyrics from a lyric page. I don't own any Van Halen or remember seeing an album cover. Although I remember they had wings on their name, like wot the morfes do. If I was on an LP cover, it would have to be Disco Tex and the Sex-O-lettes, but I've no doubt your reference was flattering almost to the point of impertinence. Even though, one would be taking one's own liberty if one were to respond positievely to your allegations sirrah :-)

I WAS a pair of chequered y fronts on the rear (!) of Black Sabbath's 'Sabotage' LP. Still waiting for the cheque...
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Pant fwof!
Aug 04, 2003, 00:51
YOU were those pants on Bill Wards butt somewhat crushed and gauzed by (at least) 30 denier red tights of scratchy 70's ruffidge? You're a braver pant than I! The static alone must hav been a fire hazard.

I doff my cap to thee Pantonius.

Mind you, for a brief and chastened moment in 79 I was Gene Simmons' cod piece roadie on the Dynasty tour. Never has a job been more lonely and yet so hectic and convulsive. And the stories that thing could tell.......brrrrr.
Holy McGrail
Holy McGrail
1257 posts

Re: Ok..I'm REEEALLY SORRY
Aug 04, 2003, 01:10
(Missed this one earlier...)

Sorry everyone else if I'm the inconsistent bigot Stray makes me out to be.
Apparently accepting an apology in a flame war is wussing out. Gotta love it.

I wade in here, in a thread I started, defending HH. How dare I. Brilliant.

Anyway, Moon Cat's said all the good stuff. Nothing more to add.

Holy McGrail
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Ok..I'm REEEALLY SORRY
Aug 04, 2003, 09:12
With regards to Murray, I don't know about him personally, but it has happened to other HH reviewers. Seth Man received a gigantic "Go to hell" from some fellow called yousuck (which was later removed) and my review of "Meat Puppets II" attracted a lot of criticism too (mainly from fans of the band, despite the fact that it was a glowing review, which, although containing a few Lester Bangs' inspired factual liberties, is still -IMO - the best piece of music criticism I have ever written). I guess that's the price you pay for putting your stuff on any kind of pulic forum - some love it, some don't. Whilt I think the bickering on this thread has got pretty out of hand now, and some of Stray's comments did indeed - IMO- go too far with the personal vitriol, I don't see any reason why Julian should be immune from this just because this is his fan site.
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Albums of the Month Blues
Aug 04, 2003, 11:55
I haven’t checked the Unsung forums much in the last couple of years due to losing interest; I love mostly music with a raw edge, be it ultra-famous (eg Black Sabbath or Robert Wyatt) or not so famous (eg GAM 76 – one of the best albums ever). Although all the AOTMs are different, they are connected in their epic intent to freak the One with the Roman Attitude and to be used as tools on a Personal Search. Most of these albums will not do the trick while you are doing the washing up, they need careful Inner Exploration, and the Reviews do indeed lead you near there. Some of those albums will not work until one day you wake up and find out that they do.

Though I consider early Van Halen (1978-80) full of crass stupid choruses (and I think this is made quite clear in the review), there is something in the energy and intricacies of the music that does appeal to me and far outweighs the ridiculous-ness (more than, say, early Kiss (1974-77) who have the crap choruses/lyrics AND often lack the edge in the music). Still, if Van Halen had used his ideas to make more radical music the world would have been a much happier place. An album-load of Eruption would be the perfect companion to LAMF. Another example is the powerful way Unchained begins in and then evolves until it reaches the silly chorus. But once you get over this, it’s fun.

I have always been disappointed that no-one pays much attention to the AOTMs (or rest of reviews for that matter). Only those famous albums that people know will be either praised or slagged off (often without hearing the album in question!!!) and I am sad that people are just not interested in the Exploring of the Rest. Too much hard work? To me, this work is part of the fun. Then again, there will always be a plank who will say I am a snob for wanting to explore what they do not know or have never bothered to explore. Oh, and Montrose in the past produced a similar kind of reaction as Van Halen. In the same way, one cannot deny the saw-guitar works in a similar way. Mind you, if VH’s 1984 had been reviewed we should have started to get worried.

Criticising the AOTMs is perfectly fine by me BUT ONLY as long as it’s based on a proper argument or AFTER hearing the album in question; I gather that criticism in most cases is based on personal appreciation *without* hearing the album first. What I’ve seen lately, also, is too much of a bad attitude which, here I agree with a23, was not part of HH in the past (it rather belongs to forums for inane artists like, say, the Paul Weller or the Beck website). Wake up people. This place has always been different. Newcomers have always praised the good attitude of its people in opposition to the rest of the web which is full of lazy sexual expletives. This said, I will sod off.
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Re: Albums of the Month Blues
Aug 04, 2003, 12:11
"Only those famous albums that people know will be either praised or slagged off (often without hearing the album in question!!!) "

I meant 'Only those famous bands'.
Better to admit my erring than to regret it later!
YooDooRite
40 posts

Re: Albums of the Month Blues
Aug 04, 2003, 13:25
Very true...although getting hold of some of these albums is as much of trying spiritual journey as actually getting into the albums themselves...I ended up emailing Sunburned Hand of the Man's manager to ask where I could get a copy of it from (!) (Seems Rough Trade do stock em so that path to enlightenment is relatively simple).

But I've personally enjoyed all Julian's reviews and his knack for the finding freakiest fun out there is always funkin' fantastic. And regarding the Halen (if they were ever known by that name!):

I had a listen to it - and let it be known the only VH track I've ever heard is Jump, which is of course a piece of cock-pop genius -and it does rock...the freeform guitar slings and arrows could be summat off Raw Power and the live recording with it's meters in the red vibe only add to this. It's not the result of three year's in Real World studios recording the guitar parts a-string-at-a-time and this is a good thing. So perhaps some people's sheer terror of praising the Halen is more an unconscious bewilderment at having a rocknroll taboo so absolutely breached. Perhaps you thought VH was just too 'out-there' in it's popularity that it could never be embraced as righteous. It's too TABOO. It's rocknroll incest. This is just received wisdom - it's not truth (whatever that may be). I like the way our libertine Copey has shaken up the settled mud of rock criticism and dragged from the depths an apparently condemned piece of shit. What the fuck - at least it made you look. If the question of whether or not the Darkness are also shamanic angels come to rock you eternities is now a burning one in your brain then all the better for it. Much better to think that than to say, 'they're shit. Period. End of discussion. I'm not even entertaining the idea of magic, eternity or SOMETHING AMAZING'.

So there's my tuppence worth. Maybe I should have just it in the record machine. You know what mean? You know what I meeee-aaaannnnn?

So on another note Sunburned Hand of Man and Comets on Fire are featured in this month's Wire magazine? I think Copey's defintely having an effect. I remember when he started raving over AMT I couldn't find their albums anywhere but after few month's even HMV had a little section. And now with Comets and SHOFTM both their profiles are higher since JC dredged them out the mud. Of course I may just be more aware of em but whatever.

Ummm....well if you've made it this far thanks for reading!
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index