August Album of the Month

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
copefan
copefan
214 posts

Re: August Album of the Month
Aug 05, 2003, 10:35
Right I don't like Van Halen...........but i've been doing a bit of searching and they are still quite alot of fans out there! all this of slagging off is quite funny as some people really mean it! Well great thats what this is all about.....but its getting personal which is not the aim. I don't like van Halen but i've looked at Julian's review and its well put and very informative which is what album of the months about.......without bands like VH would we have had Brain Donor, LAMF maybe but would Julian have put so much effort in to the band without the whole Rock circle to pull ideas from.........Van Halen may not be everyones cuppa but Julian likes them and its his site so he can write what ever he wants to write and I for one respect that view as I think we all do but for one review to cause so much shite is beyond me............all I can say is look at your own record collection and weep as some of what you hold dear would probably get you an even bigger slagging off! where is that Blancmange LP..................
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Aug 05, 2003, 12:37
I take it yer not a fan anymore tPs?
Yali*
TightPurpleShirt
281 posts

Aug 05, 2003, 22:39
afraid not charlie, not on present form anyway. might come abck to him when he has sorted himself out. i thought he had with the BD and LAMF albums i cant stand the BD album now though and like about 2/3's of the LAMF. Far more important than the cope crap though is how are you, your lady friend and your nipper. And when are we going to go out on the town>?

TpS
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Aug 11, 2003, 13:09
i AM FINE tPs ... things are ok at the moment and my son is growing into a fine little person and is (off his own back nowt to do with me bdw!) fast becoming a bloody good drummer!

If ya fancy a pint down the shakespear (totterdown)
they do a pass the mike night on a mondaynight?
Send us an e-mail on what nights you are free and we wil sort sumat out e'h?
:O)Yali*
TightPurpleShirt
281 posts

Aug 11, 2003, 14:27
whats your email addy charlie mine is

[email protected]

laters..
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Aug 11, 2003, 15:56
[email protected]
Laters dude
Yali*
duckbreath
254 posts

Aug 13, 2003, 18:05
i'm a bit late here I know and maybe it's all a bit stale but i saw cope doing a brilliant talk about five years ago when reposessed had just come out and one of the most interesting things he said was about Van Halen - indeed it kind of one of the crux points of what he was talking about.

he had a news clipping of a recent discovery of a really old hat that had been found near some standing stones or something - a few thousands of years old (apologies for my archaeological sketchiness) - it was a tall multi-coloured hat like a witches or something but Cope used it to illustrate the point that these folks had leisure time - and that their leisure time was used to dress up and be flamboyant and that these people were imaginative and spiritual in a way that he envied and in a way that our society has forgotten about. I think he must have just read 'Crazy from the Heat' at this point but he had got the same kind of thing from DLR's idiosyncratic and humorous memories of Van Halen - ie the product of leisure time spent indulging in fantasy play and ridiculousness but also for the sake of the audience and with a commitment towards their wellbeing (illustrated in the floor polishing story Cope mentions in the AOTM feature) unlike most of the metal genre.

I can see how Dave Lee Roth represents someone who is a showman in an age of featureless and joyless culture and I think Cope is right to champion these kinds of inspirations because they're valuable and also because they are rare.

I think the main point about this though is that Cope has justified his appreciation of VH eloquently and the accusations of irony or intellectual dishonesty represented by the 'Cope can go to hell' and 'He is taking the piss' comments are unfair and insulting.

BTW
I have just read 'Our Band Could be Your Life' by Michael Azzerad which is a chronicle of Underground American Indie in the 80s and Van Halen were cited as inspiration by Henry Rollins, Ian MacKaye and The Minutemen so Cope is not their only credible fan.
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

tOoKoOLiAN...
Aug 14, 2003, 15:02
Very nice ... you have actually given a justified debate there and given me some straight answers rather than the tit for tat crap that some of the earlyer postings have consisted of including my own earlyer postings on this topic btw .

I do seem to remember Julian harking on about *Van Halen* at some event I found myself at, but I just thought he was aving an Ironic Muso~moment ?

I always thought of JuLIAN as being the direct psychedelic result of the likes of *theee 13th flOor elevators* for example?...and a good reviewer of such great music!

But to even waist energy on Van Halen is eneough for me to get pissed off ... however many of U dudes out there dig Um! I am sorry but they are = to Deaf LeparD in my view. 80's cac !
I don't rate them at all whoever it is that writes about them!

I am sure Julian has his motivs for listening to such stuff which is fine it is his given rite!
It is his site!iT IS his writing! ... I dig Julians music but I don't know the man and I also have my view on what 80's cac is!

Can't be doing with such sillyness when there are sooo many truely unsung albums out there that Julian should aim his skillful reviewing at!... The *heads* from Bristol for example! I do believe Julian has heard their albums too?

(puts hand over ranting gob)

sORRY donT mean 2 be harsh ... but ...
...Cheers & thanks for the kewl posting man.
Yali*
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: tOoKoOLiAN...
Aug 14, 2003, 20:28
I agree with cHArlie. Duckbreath has said what I was trying to say in far better terms. The whole issue of whether it's Van bleedin' Halen or not is irrelevant.
It's about the freedom to stick up a review on Unsung and for people to take from it what they want without being abusive or just smartass cool 'cos its someone they dont like AND in all likelihood have never actually listened to. Whether that review is by Cope or one of us is also irrelevant.
'nuff said.

ps Charlie....V** H****'s best stuff was in the 70's hehe.
Nat Hate
Nat Hate
445 posts

Van Halen
Aug 15, 2003, 09:12
I DJed a classic metal set at a friends gig on Tuesday and upon playing Van Halen's classic "Jump" everyone's faces lit up. I for one have a misguided love of metal - OK, so Iron Maiden might not be Black Sabbath, but are they really that much different. If it's cool to like Sabbath then it's cool to like Judas Priest and Van Halen and as I'm sure everyone on here will be happy to admit, cool don't come into it!
If Julian wants to like Van Halen (and try and spread this acceptance) then great. Anyone visiting this site is bound to have had their "weird" music taste slagged off. Be a head and stop arguing!
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index