67 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
cookie
77 posts

Re: Congestion Charging
Feb 27, 2003, 15:02
Woah there Grufty!

firstly...

I totally agree with schemes to get people out of their cars, and am not anti-the congestion charge but the surveillance angle is a totally separate issue. Its the ethos around it.. about privacy and civil liberties.

You can say "stop using your car" as a solution, but is that fuelled by a (totally justified and agreed with) anti car sentiment? But what if suddenly you had to register with ID to buy any tube/bus ticket, so your movements around the network could be tracked and logged? Would you say "stop using public transport"?

and secondly..

Ok I haven't researched this one extensively, as I don't get to Nodnol that much but..

(http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/29390.html)
"So, when Ken talks merrily of cameras being panned, zoomed and being used to identify drivers, we have clear purpose-drift and the probable need for whole new categories of registration for TfL under the data protection act."

I've read conflicting stuff too, so I've really no concrete idea of what this system is capable off, but _possibly_ these cameras can be used for bike/pedestrian surveillance too?
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index