Congestion Charging

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Re: Congestion Charging
Feb 18, 2003, 12:57
i do take your point, but even on 21k - £5 a day (if it is necessary) = £25 a week = £1200 pa- almost a months wages! That is pretty bloody heavy taxation imo.
I do think mouch more could have been done to make the scheme more flexible. it wasn't tho, because blair etc half want the scheme to fail - so ken gets the blame, and they can then introduce a more flexible scheme (such as the one they are planning for edinburgh) & getr the credit.

obviously it's bloody good to get the polluting dangerous metal heaps out of the city - FREE public transport, would probably save as much m,oney in time & helath costs as it would cost to provide in the long run. aaah, but it would probably be illegal somehow too....
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

hackney
Feb 18, 2003, 13:00
i have lived in hackney up until recently for about 10 years and so haven't been affected by this recent charging thing. it has two sides - since all the people who can't afford to live in islington and cambden or trendy hoxton/stoke newington have moved in parking has gotten totally chaotic in hackney and something needs to be done. The other side is - £90 is a lot of dosh and hackney having been such a poor borough for so long they might also be looking to raise some cash, I mean the borough nearly went bankrupt about two years ago. I had a number of neighbours n'stuff you were really badly affected - electrician of 12 yrs made redundant with less than the legal minimum due to a loop hole whilst the borough was in administration (type thingy) and park keepers told not allowed to buy diesil for quite a while. How much would it cost to set up a means test scheme or administer s concessions thing tho' you know leek working famileies tax credit gets you 50%, exemption for disablilites registration and similar must be in place. If there is anywhere where people with low paid jobs live hackney will be one of em. and the public transport is terrible, over an hour by bus from clapton pond to victoria, no tube in the borough and no hope of getting in the east of the borough

Hackney is a mess, a lovely one, but a mess. It has won awards tho for social care delivery etc tho and erp .. well like I said I love it

hey motorbike anti-congestion power!!!!
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Feb 18, 2003, 13:08
Free Public Transport?!?!?

Fergawdsake, you've got an 80p flat fare on the buses, what more do you want?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Feb 18, 2003, 13:15
"what more do you want?" minus 80p ... that's what.

Anyway, the least that can be done is to allow the purchase of bus passes BEFORE tax as they do here in Ireland. But free would be good, but free is illegal, but free does not make profit for the private bus companies, so Tony ain't gonna repeal one of Maggie's sillier/pettier laws is he?
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Feb 18, 2003, 13:20
really?
when did that happen?
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Feb 18, 2003, 13:32
Tony isn't going to do anything to upset private companues full stop.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Feb 18, 2003, 13:39
I was being flip.

However, you got me thinking, and I had a check. I was sure I'd read that somewhere. Turns out I was thinking of the 70p flat fare. Of course, as long as you don't go into zone1 where it's £1. Which to be perfectly honest would be a sizable reduction on my £2.50 a day travel. (A distance about Deptford to Lambeth.)
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Feb 18, 2003, 13:43
In West Mids we once had 2p for any bus trip. It was great, you could borrow 10p from someone and go to Birmingham for the day!

Then Maggie stopped it :-(
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Feb 18, 2003, 13:57
dunno why im posting this as a reply to this particular post, but....
St barts Hospital is in the CC area. Very few hospitals will arrange for transport to take you home after an operation - basically a relative/friend is going to have to pay a fiver to collect you.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Feb 18, 2003, 14:07
depends what time you leave the hospital though!
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index